Chinese-Forums

Reasurement required about kanji

masterj

• New Members

Hi, guys!

First of all thank you for reading my thread. I started my search in jref.com forum as I wanted to translate some sentence into kanji. But apparently it is impossible to do in Japanese only kanji, but they sort of tried their best and gave me one in Chinese kanji.

Basically I need this sentence: "No Gods, only man". And what I have currently is: 沒有神,只有人 . The good people at jref.com told me to recheck this with someone who is fluent in Chinese so I ask you :) Does that look right? Also I am not sure if comma is required in sentence? Additionally if this looks right please check if my attached 4 images means the same (they are in different fonts though).

no gods only man 1.png

no gods only man 2.png

no gods only man 3.png

no gods only man 4.png

Is this for a tattoo? I would leave out the coma what ever it is being used for if you are using vertical script as it looks clumsy.

For me the third example is a good font,  the first 2 are too heavy and the last too weedy.

If this is for any artistic use, tattoo, painting etc it is advisable to use traditional characters, which the first of your examples is, not 100% sure about this, I am sure I will be corrected if needed.

Just remember that you can not always translate things in to Chinese and end up with something that means what you wanted. For Chinese the saying "lost in translation" couldn't be truer.

If this is for a tattoo, please think again. Use your native language, what's the point if you want to pass on a message that most of the people around you can't read and if you are surrounded by Chinese people 1) you could ask them and 2) you don't want them laughing at the foreigner's silly tattoo.

Who is going to do it? Are they a skilled calligrapher? Even if you get a good translation it could all be ruined by a bad rendition.

As I always say think before you ink and think again and again.

If its not for a tattoo, my apologies and would you share what it is for to help you get it right.

The meaning is correct.

The comma is not required.

The character 隻 is wrong in your first picture. It's a common error when converting from Simplified Chinese to Traditional Chinese.

The correct traditional character is 衹. But it's both unnecessary (it has been written as 只 for centuries) and potentially confusing (there is a word 神祇 'gods (of heaven and earth)', often wrongly written as 神祗). Better stick with 只.

• Like 3

It is correct, but please don't get this as a tattoo. As tattoos go, this just seems like a bad idea. If you really want to get a tattoo, make sure your tattooist knows Chinese and can write nice calligraphy. Better yet, get a tattoo in a language you understand.

Also, Chinese doesn't have kanji, it has characters. In Chinese, characters are called 漢字 hanzi. In Japanese, characters are called kanji. But there is no such thing as Chinese kanji.

• Like 3