Chinese-Forums

请问, 你们能听懂我在说什么吗

Andrew78

我需要听两三次。

Some of the tones are a bit off for instance, 但是。

Something that wasn't explained to me very well before is to pay attention to the duration of the sound you are making.

for example , 但是, the 是 is pronounced with a shorter duration.

I can understand it, but it's a bit painful. Sounds like you are attacking each word. It will come with daily practice though and lots of focused listening :) I am an assistant teacher in a CHIN 101 class and it sounds like a lot of my students, not bad for just starting to speak. As was mentioned earlier, tone pairs, tone pairs, tone pairs. 

Also, find out where your tone range (I'm sure there is a linguistically correct way of saying this) is. A lot of beginners have a first tone that sounds like they are trying to sing a high C note. The travel from your lowest tone (third and end of fourth) to your highest (first) shouldn't be octaves apart. This will also help you speak more fluently because your voice doesn't need to jump all over the place. There is a comfortable range that you will find as you practice and listen. This can be hard to develop sometimes if you have a female teacher -- as her register would be different from yours. Find a Chinese guy whose voice is similar to yours and hear how high he goes for his first tone, chances are it is a lot lower than where you are. 

Good luck! 

Thank you all for your advices, now I'm just trying to make myself understood, if I try to sound more natural it's like I miss the tones, I have to make lots of drills of course, for now it was already something being understood, since many times people were not able to understand me.