请问, 你们能听懂我在说什么吗? 2

Andrew78

多长 (not sure what you mean by this)

几点

起床 (tones are off on this one)

我多长

Not sure what you say next

我以前在麦当劳工作过

Do you do tone drills with your teacher on Skype?

Edit: I'll second the advice you received in the first of these threads about the range of your tones - I find your first tone too high to be comfortable and even if you're not worried about it now then you will have to be at some point.

Also, I don't think you need a new thread for every clip - if you keep them in one thread then you can keep track of the advice you receive and the progress you make.

You got right the last sentence, the first was: 你通常几点起床? 我通常八点起床 - Yes, we do tone drills even in pair, but I really need a lot more practise, it's something completely new to me. I learned other languages very easily but this is the first tonale language. At the beginning it was almost impossibile to understand me, now at least, even though I sound weird when I speak, I can make people understand, sometimes, a good part or even all of what I say.

You need to drill the initials and finals.  And then drill the combinations.  It's dull - very, very dull, but 100% worth it. 

Edit: I just had a flick through my old notebook and it's depressing to see page after page after page of notes with heading like "Pinyin", "More Pinyin", "Pinyin again!".  My teacher basically went through all the 'vowels' and made me pronounce a range of words with that vowel.  For example, on the day we learned the 'ai' sound, I had to say 爱,矮,呆,在,台,奶,害 and then they would all be used in simple sentences.

I'm impressed I didn't quit.

• Like 1

Along with tones throw in practicing basic pronunciation. x-s-sh, j-zh-ch-zh all have distinct sounds. ian, an, un, etc.. I guess these are called intials and finals. You can look here for the pronunciation of each one. In terms of pronunciation Chinese is actually easy once you get it down because there are a finite number of combinations. After you learn these then you can pronounce any Chinese word so the time you put into it now will pay dividends down the road. 

https://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/pinyin-rules.php

I couldn't recognize your 通常. Most Chinese speakers would hear 多长 and since it doesn't make sense they would probably settle on 早上. (Yeah, we can be very flexible if we know the speaker is a foreigner.)

Your t is wrong. It should be aspirated like English t, not Italian t, which is indistinguishable from d to Chinese ears. Put your hand before your mouth and say 'tong', you should feel a puff of air bursting out of your mouth, and that is the correct way to pronounce t.

And the tones are off for most multi-syllable words:

你通常几点起床 ˨˩ ˥ ˧˥ ˧˥ ˨˩ ˨˩ ˧˥ <--- this is what the pitch contour is supposed to be

你同场几点漆窗 ˨˩ ˧˥ ˨˩ ˧˥ ˨˩ ˥ ˥ <--- this is the perceived pitch contour of your speech

我通常八点起床 ˨˩ ˥ ˧˥ ˥ ˨˩ ˨˩ ˧˥

我同场八点骑闯 ˨˩ ˧˥ ˨˩ ˥ ˨˩ ˧˥ ˨˩

我以前在麦当劳工作过 ˧˥ ˨˩ ˧˥ ˥˧ ˥˩ ˥ ˧˥ ˥ ˥˧ ˧˩

我已潜在麦荡老共左过 ˨˩ ˧˥ ˨˩ ˥˩ ˥˧ ˥˩ ˨˩ ˥˩ ˨˩ ˧˩

˧˥ ˨˩ seems to be your default fallback when you don't know how to pronounce a word. And you're carrying English/Italian sentence intonation (rising at the end of a question, falling at the end of a statement) into Chinese.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...