Chinese-Forums

A Laowai's Travel Guide to Hangzhou - Video

CharlieLi

No YouTube in Hangzhou lol 

They are actually hiring foreigners to promote Hangzhou on social media outside of The Great Firewall. 

http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/9fCh1gjuIqEQ_bC_yNEnhg

http://www.hzwestlake.gov.cn/Html/GOV/201708/25/37715.html

21 hours ago, CharlieLi said:

Let me know what you think!

I thought it was OK in a lightweight sort of way. Sort of a "teaser" to make people want to visit and learn more. Not much solid information. Would imagine this casual, breezy approach is what you were striving for. Give viewers a taste, give them a hint of the flavor of the place. Clearly not an in-depth report.

Entertainment value exceeds the information value. Basically advertising. Would imagine that's what you were after. Not bad.

• Helpful 1

CAUTION!

Immediately after watching this video I noticed some odd pop-ups and did a security scan (using ESET and MAB) and found my computer had been infected with "Tarma Installer" malware and "Yontoo Adware" malware. Have now managed to remove these infections.

I used Firefox, Windows 7, and Youkou to watch it.

Not necessarily blaming the video. I suppose it could have just been coincidence, or something that slipped in uninvited from Youku.

malware.thumb.JPG.f0644b05398396d634bf346d69b128f5.JPG

i watched it on youtube... no viruses there.

i thought the editing was nice. your chinese isn't bad for less than a year, but you need to work on pronunciation.

you say the "hang" in hangzhou like "coathanger" over and over again in the vid and it's kind of a downer for me.

it's not that sort of nasal a sound, more like a british soft vowel a as in "car" for example. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a suggestion. 

You had two people plus one additional group of people. Namely, you (the narrator), one local woman, plus the tourists. 

What you did was basically this, you showed the local woman, hey, this is a local person, and she said, yeah, I am from Hangzhou, but apart from pointing at her as the local, you did not ask her questions and she did not say much about the city. 

You asked tourists what they think about the Hangzhou, but they could only say that they like it. They were not able to say much, because they did not know much. Probably first time visiting. 

Good shots, the video looks nice, but I wish you had the local say more about Hangzhou and just show the tourists. 

• 4 weeks later...

@abcdefg Thanks, it had the intention of a lightweight introduction to china, in order to entertain! I have plans to delve in deeper in the future! I'm not sure where that pop up came from! hope everything is OK now!

@dtcamero Thanks for the feedback, actually I've never heard that my pronounciation of HZ was wrong so that's really helpful!

@Angelina You're right, a local's perspective could have had a lot more gained from it, I will look at this more closely in the future.

Thanks so much everyone :)