Jump to content
Learn Chinese in China

Does cancelling a Z visa cancels the residence permit ?


Recommended Posts

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question, but...


When you get a new Visa/Residence Permit all your previous visas & residence permits are cancelled.


You do need to re-register with your local police station after changing or extending a visa/residence permit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you arrive to China after obtaining a Z visa, your Visa should become a residence permit. If you enter the country with a tourist visa there is no residence permit, you just have a tourist visa that allows you to stay in the country X days. Sure you have to register.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a residence permit after I got my Z visa.
Later, I cancelled my Z visa and came back with a tourist visa. But the residence permit is still in my passport and nothing written on it so I was wondering if it is still valid. Apparently not, then ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kherith, once your get your residence permit your Z-Visa is automatically cancelled. You can't have both at once. The two stickers may both be in your book, they may both look great, but only the newest one is valid.


If you applied and got for a tourist visa, then your residence permit has been canceled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks. Apparently, they dont do registrations on week ends (but they ask to register within 24 hours ? xd).
One more question : I will turn my tourist visa into a student visa (hopefully, according to the university). Do I still need to register before going with this process ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should need to register your address before getting a new visa.


Just do it after the weekend, a day or two doesn't really matter, but make sure you get it done and don't lose the piece of paper they give you. Once you get your student visa, you'll also need to do it again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...