Chinese-Forums

Chinese Idiom Rally

ax

I have similar thread on www.forumosa.com, but not very successful. I guess the members there are more English teachers than Chinese learners.

I wanna try it here and see if we can have lively discussion on Chinese Idiomatic experession.

Shoot the idiom you just learned here :)

let's start with: 舉一反三 [ju yi fan san]

ax

You can turn it into a game, like the first word of the next idiom has to be the last word of the previous, like 三生有幸 (san1 sheng1 you3 xing4).

If I can give you three new idioms in response to the one you gave, then it is 舉一反三.

Chatting with you people here, I am very honoured, i.e. 三生有幸.

There are whole dictionaries dedicated to 成语. I used to play 成语 word games with friends when I was in school. The game goes like this, the first person picks a random 成语, i.e. 舉一反三, then the next person has to pick up from the 三, and give something like 三心两意, then the next person would say 意乱情迷 etc etc.

童言無忌 [tong yan wu ji] to knock on woods? :-)

You guys are great, I mean really greater that those chinese teachers at forumosa. Turning this into a game is really interesting and will increase participation. I hope this thread will flourish. It's also a tool for me to learn new idioms.

ax

Something starting with 忌. Anyone? Anyone?

I confess I have checked three dictionaries but could not find one. Shall we start again? How about 三生有幸, and then 幸災樂禍 (xing4 zai1 le4 huo4)? Very bad behaviour indeed, laughing at the unfortunate ones.

Great work, skylee and quest, and great idea from ax. Your mission now is to edit all your posts to include pinyin and an explanation.

I would love to join in, but it would be a case of 班门弄斧 I fear . . .

Roddy

So you did. Oops. And so should I. I know I should start with 變, but I couldn't, so I decided to 班门弄斧 - (banmen nong fu) play around with your ax in front of the door of the master carpenter Ban - or to show off your little talents in front of those much more skilled. A very useful alternative to 马马虎虎 when native speakers tell you how good your Chinese is.

Roddy

I have obediently added the missing pinyin, roddy大人 (I like this title, please also address me as 大人 next time :D ).

After 靜觀其變, I add 變幻無常 (bian4 huan4 wu2 chang2), because life is always changing unpredictably.

Something starting with 常? Anyone? ax?