Chinese-Forums

Going directly from class level 1 to 3

Kherith

Hi guys,

I have studied one semester of chinese already and I found it super easy, even though I was working and barely had time to self-study after classes. I am going to start the second semester next week and since I do not work anymore, I will have much more time to study. I've heard that it is possible to skip level 2 and go directly to level 3. I have asked former students and even my teacher from last semester but I only got the same answer : "try both levels during first week and then choose". However, I do not think that evaluating the different classes over a week (provided that schedules allow it) will give me a proper idea of what to expect over a semester.
Basically, I am ready to study much more vocabulary, but what I am afraid of is to lack some important grammar points if I go directly to level 3. On the other hand, I would be disappointed if the pace of study is to slow.

We are using the books called "Developping chinese", so those who might have studied with this too.

What is your thought on this ? I have two possibilities : going to the third level and risk being lost in class or stay in level 2 and risk a slower pace of study. If so, I guess I could still study myself on the side... but I would have to think how, because I lose motivation when I organise my studies myself, I really much prefer following a programme with a teacher.

I'm not sure what Level 1, 2 and 3 mean in regards to content and difficulty, but in general my advice would be not to skip a level.  Learning the Chinese language is more like an ultra-marathon not a 100m sprint.  By skipping level 2 you risk losing important basics that function as building blocks for the Chinese language.  My suggestion would be to do Level 2 and then if you find it too easy come up with a self study program that can keep you motivated. 

Have a look at the textbook for the higher level and any other material. If it looks manageable go into the higher level and see how you get on - and also make sure you work through the Level 2 stuff.

Presumably you'll be able to either drop down a level, or retake Level 3, if necessary. Worth the risk for saving six months. Do make sure you cover the skipped content though. Maybe even sit in on any particularly useful Level 2 classes if possible. 

Right, actually you make a very good point that I didnt even think about... I'm planning to study two more semesters, so as you said, if I fail I'll just retake it next semester, otherwise I'll just save six months.
On the other hand, if I just go for level 2 and study by myself on the side, third level will be too easy next semester haha, so it's a never-ending circle. Im decided to go for the third semester now, thanks !
Just need to figure out how to catch back level 2 at the same time. For example, one chapter for each level every time... Dont know if it's a good idea.

I'd try and get through the Level 2 stuff fairly quickly - the assumption has to be that you know most of it already. Maybe do a quick work through of the grammar and vocab, then go through the skills work at a more leisurely pace.