Chinese-Forums

China Unicom Sim

lrumin94

Hello,

I am now in Shanghai and I was able to purchase a sim via (possibly sketchy and supposed) airport staff, who I think had an airport taxi business, for ¥200... anyway, anybody know how it works. I have free minutes, texts, and 6gb data. Does this 6gb data get renewed monthly? And how do I top up? Please help. 

I just arrived today (with the parents) and I nearly backed out because it was a totally whole new world and I wasn't sure if I was ready. Hahaha!

It'll likely depend on your actual card / package. There are usually 15 mobile phone shops on every street - spot a Unicom one and go in and ask. If there's one near campus they'll be very used to clueless foreign students in need of help. 

What do your parents think of it all?

1 hour ago, lrumin94 said:

I was able to purchase a sim via (possibly sketchy and supposed) airport staff

I'm pretty sure it's legitimate. Have you tried making a call yet? Phone sellers (and a lot of other sellers) in China can look very dodgy without actually being so.

I don't have any practical advice on topping up, I'm afraid. Perhaps just ask the first Chinese person you meet who is halfway friendly, this stuff is easy to figure out for a local and you'll give someone an opportunity to do a good deed.

Are you positive your phone works with a Unicom SIM? Not all Chinese SIMs work with all phones. And sometimes depending on your phone, calls may work but not high-speed data.

As well, there's real-name registration. Did they just sell you the SIM, or did they do the real-name registration, too?

• 4 months later...

Hi, super late reply. I have been too busy to even check back here. 

IT WORKS. I didn't realize how important it was to have a china sim. Everything really requires a china number and your phone around here, huh. Wow.

• Like 1

You've probably also found that it is also becoming more and more important to have wechat pay/alipay (although not essential, so don't worry if you don't). all topping up can be done through through wechat and alipay, really simple you just put in your phone number, how much you want to top up, then restart your phone.

• 2 weeks later...