Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China
  • Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
MFlores

Gaming in China

MFlores    7
MFlores

Hi guys, I have some questions related to gaming:

- Is gaming seen as something bad? 

- Can I buy games from the current generation easily?

- How's the retrogaming scene in China?

- Pc gaming is still the big thing?

Any other info related to gaming would be useful.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

abcdefg    2,379
abcdefg

What do you mean by "gaming?" Do you mean poker, blackjack, roulette and baccarat? Macau is the place for these. Do you mean on-line gambling?

hoshinoumi    69
hoshinoumi
7 hours ago, MFlores said:

s Is gaming seen as something bad? 

- Can I buy games from the current generation easily?

- How's the retrogaming scene in China?

- Pc gaming is still the big thing?

Pc gaming seems to be the most popular. I don't know about PS/Xbox but I know that Nintendo, for example, isn't sold in China. 

Pc cafés (known as 网吧 wangba) are a big thing but videogames in general are seen as something bad (remember when videogames in USA where the cause of everything a kid failed in back in the 90??). Where I lived in Xi'an there were many places where you could play ALL night for 15 yuan. Foreigners aren't supposed to be allowed, but didn't encounter any problems. 80% of the people were playing league of legends, the other 20% was playing Overwatch. I don't know about retro gaming since, again, I haven't seen consoles/ads for consoles or games. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

ZhangKaiRong    277
ZhangKaiRong

China is getting more and more exposed to competitive esport, but generally speaking, gaming is still seen as a bad habit and something related to potential obsession.

If I remember correctly, iOS and Android mobile platforms are the most popular in China, followed by PC gaming.

Console is still a niche market in the mainland, as most gaming consoles were banned there until 2014. However, if you want to buy games for current and former gens, you can in bigger cities: I bought several Japanese and HK/Taiwan region PS3 games in Beijing when I was studying there in 2012/2013.

Retrogaming: I didn't note a big retrogaming scene in China, but China does have their fair amount of bootleg PC games from the 90's :D Please see my absolute favorite one (YT video)

• Like 1

hoshinoumi    69
hoshinoumi

You should have seen the face my teachers had when they learnt that I, a girl, loved to play videogames. They simply couldn't comprehend it (and teachers are supposed to be in constant contact with foreign culture...).

• Like 1

dwq    149
dwq

I think steam is available, at least steamdb explicitly lists RMB as a market (and it is quite a bit cheaper than the US).

• Like 1

ouyangjun    180
ouyangjun

I'd generally agree with Zhang Kai Rong's comments above.  Mobile is probably most popular followed by PC and then console is trying to catch on.  PS4 and Xbox can easily be bought in China at large electronic stores like 顺电 or even at the Microsoft store.  

The really big hit is Tencent's game Honour of Kings.  It's caused quite the controversy in China.  It's the highest grossing game on iOS and Android in China with over 200 million active players.  The major news outlets such as People's Daily have compared to the game to a drug and have pressured Tencent to the point where they've had to put time restrictions on how much a minor can play per day (1 hour if under 12 and 2 hours if under 18).  Then there was another news article blaming the game for people in the army wasting their time on it after their duty and something of a ban there as well (though I can't really remember the army story clearly).  And most recently a family named their baby after the game, "Wang Zhe Rong Yao 王者荣耀" is the child's name (the game name in Chinese).  This is also causing controversy.  Definitely not being looked upon as a good thing in society.

I've heard that the game is on track to gross over $3 Billion USD in revenue for Tencent this year. 

• Like 1

hoshinoumi    69
hoshinoumi
On 12/09/2017 at 1:24 PM, dwq said:

think steam is available, at least steamdb explicitly lists RMB as a market (and it is quite a bit cheaper than the US).

much more? Can I ask someone in China to buy games for my European account??