Chinese-Forums

Making friends after moving to China?

Wicker West

Hi.

I just moved to China for a year, to study (I'm in Guangzhou). So far I have't met anyone I could hang out with, and it really starts worrying me - even though I'm an introvert, I still value being in social circle and making new friends.

Problem with China is that it's not really a place that benefits meeting new people - there are no pubs or discos or anything like that in my nearest environment (campus). 

Any tips?

The easiest way to make friends in your situation is to meet some other foreign students. Ask anyone you have a pleasant interaction with for their phone number and make lunch or dinner plans, 1 on 1 or in groups. Everyone is on their own and looking to make friends, so the barrier is low. Once you've met enough people, invest time in the ones you like best.

The easiest way to make Chinese friends is to find a language partner. Some are fun, some are boring, look around until you find one you don't mind spending time with.

The more advanced way to make Chinese friends is to join Chinese student clubs. Most campuses will have them, but they're often not aimed at foreign students, so it's a bit harder.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll meet some cool people soon.