Chinese-Forums

Postdoctoral position at Northeast agricultural university Herbin

urooj

• New Members

Hello

I have recently received an email from a professor and he is willing to accommodate me as postdoctoral fellow. HE sent me an annex which is in Chinese completely. I dont know what do now? How am I suppose to read it?  Kindly help me I ll be much obliged. Following is the email I received

"Dear Dr. Urooj Zafar

Greetings for the day! I am glad to receive your letter and welcome to join us.

In our school, a full-time postdoctoral position will last for two years and the yearly salary is 50,000. In addition, the age is limited to under 35 yeas old. It would be better that you could speak some Chinese, because the application procedures are very complicated. And the relevant requirements are in the annex. Finally, please send me a full curriculum vitae.

Best wishes,

Prof. Zimin Wei"

• Like 1

If you post the Chinese bit up here someone will probably take a look and tell you what it says. My impression is that when you get to the post-doctoral level you're dealing directly with academics rather than admin staff, and the academics don't know much about the visa processes and so on. It can be difficult. 

• New Members

@roddy

He sent an annex but I cant upload the file here as it is >1.9MB. Now? I agree with you but now I am totally clueless as if should ask him for a English version of the document and wait or what. 

@somethingfunny How did you go for the visa application?

PS: any lead in this regards will be greatly appreciated

Urooj

Ok, the document is this one. It's basically a top-level policy document on foreigners coming to work in China. It's not a good sign that he's sent you this - it's 85 pages of mostly irrelevant text, when all you need is a list of what documents you need to provide.

The process is a complicated one. If he hasn't helped someone through it before, it's entirely possible something will go wrong. Find out if the school has had foreign postdocs before, and try and have him or you get in touch with whoever handled that application. Or foreign postgrads, or foreign undergrads. This might be the right place - your professor might not know they exist. 

This might also be useful - I'm not sure about the current situation, but in the past there's been confusion about whether a postdoc should be on a student or a work visa.

• Like 1