Chinese-Forums

Can I et a X Visa as an exchange student if I have Hepatitis B?

Ashli

Hello everyone ,
since I was born I am a Hepatitis B carrier. It is still non-reactive, so my liver function is pretty normal and there are no other problems. I am studying Chinese language and culture and soon I have to apply for a student exchange program. I have to stay at least 6 month till a year. I did some research and I know there is a lot discrimination about hep. b carrier in china.  So will the University reject my admission after they see the results of my medical examination? Or will I even get a VISA to enter China as a Student? Hope someone knows something about this, it will help me a lot.

While there is no health check involved in Long Term student X visa applications you will be asked about your health on your visa application form. 

You might be tempted to not fill it in the application but I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking to stay out of trouble 

I would recommend calling your local consulate and ask them although it can be hit and miss

There's a medical for converting X1 visa to residence permits. X1 visa are for stays of over 180 days. If you're staying less than 180 days you'll get an X2 visa, which doesn't need converted to a residence permit and so no need for a medical. 

I'm not sure what would happen in this situation - it may depend very much on where you are and what the local authorities / university thinks. 

Thank you . Yes I know that you don't need a medical check for a X2 Visa. I just read that china actually had lift the ban for hepatitis b carrier and that the universities are not allowed to reject you because of this but they still do it . I was thinking about exchange in Shanghai of Hong Kong . I thought about calling the chinese consulate but I don't really think they will tell truth . 

On 9/28/2017 at 7:14 AM, Ashli said:

I did some research and I know there is a lot discrimination about hep. b carrier in china.  So will the University reject my admission after they see the results of my medical examination? Or will I even get a VISA to enter China as a Student?

I think your research has led you to an erroneous conclusion. I don't think your medical situation will adversely influence university admission or issuance of a visa. Hepatitis is endemic here on the Chinese mainland, Types A, B, and C. It is considered like any other ailment. Many people here are Hepatitis B carriers, referred to as 已肝。Every city has "liver hospitals." Every week or so I see discussions of liver disease on popular TV.

14 hours ago, Ashli said:

I just read that china actually had lift the ban for hepatitis b carrier and that the universities are not allowed to reject you because of this but they still do it .

What did you find about it that has you so worried? Could you post some links?

There are reports from even chinese people that were rejected because being a hep.b carrier. And there are some experience from other people in other forums. you can actually search it online. And as far as I know and it was even in the news that chinese companies do reject employees that are hept.b carrier (watch it at youtube).However there are some people who said that they still got their visa cause their liver function was all right but they don't know for sure if it depends on the liver function. And I read on a University hompage, that you should not consider to study in china if you have : 1.Aids/HIV 2.venereal disease and there were 2 other points. I think tuberculosis and somthing else. But venereal disease is also hep.b , you can consider it that way too, cause you don't only get it from your mother or blood, but also from sex.

But as I said I don't know for sure thats why I thought I could as in this forum. Maybe there are people who know better cause the live or lived in china or are chinese. So you are saying if I apply and they see I'm a non-reactive hep b carrier sind I've been born they would give me a x1 visa and the university wouldn't reject me either?

14 hours ago, Ashli said:

So you are saying if I apply and they see I'm a non-reactive hep b carrier sind I've been born they would give me a x1 visa and the university wouldn't reject me either?

That's what I'm saying. I think it's extremely unlikely that you would be banned. I think your fears are based on policies that changed almost a decade ago.

...since I was born I am a Hepatitis B carrier. It is still non-reactive, so my liver function is pretty normal and there are no other problems.

Not sure what "pretty normal" means here, however, and it might be relevant.

@Ashli

If you are worried about a mainland university's admin staff willingness to help (in every country, in every university, some admin staff are helpful and up to date on the latest official policies, and some are neither):

would a Taiwan university be acceptable? (maybe also look into HK universities?)

would a private school be acceptable? (but more expensive)

what about your home university staff, did you ask for their help securing a place at a Chinese university?

@edelweis actually Hong Kong would be my first choice . Till know I didn't find a lot of information about Hong Kong's medical examination at universities or for the X1 visa . I just know that I have to apply through the Chinese consulate and that there are a bit of different things but I am not actually sure . I have to call them

. Yeah a private university would be also all right . 

The thing is I can't talk about it with my home university cause our institution for Chinese language and culture is small . You know everyone and everyone knows you and even the professors tell everything to other professors . So yeah it's not easy and it's a really personal thing . But I think I will just contact some

universities. 

• 3 years later...
  • New Members

@Ashli

Did you get the VISA? Did the university permit you? Im in the same situation as you were in. I have already got the scholarship to study in China. But im just worried if they would reject me based on the medical tests when we apply for the visa. Please let me know your experience. 

• 2 years later...

It seems that most of the people interested in this issue were only interested in this one issue. Based on the posts before yours, posting about it may not get you any information.

But on the other hand, it can't hurt to go to each of the names here and send them a PM. There's no guarantee that they're still monitoring this website, but maybe you'll trigger a message that someone might answer. Then you can come back and post as the hero who finally came up with useful information.

Just my unsolicited two gilders...

TBZ 

• 7 months later...