Chinese-Forums

New fluid view option

roddy

I'm not sure this'll be very popular, but have turned it on so people can have a look. Please note it's entirely optional and you can turn it on and off at will. 

Fluid view - basically this shows you *all* topics, rather than dividing them up by forum. You can then filter by forum. Probably the best way to see what it does is play with it - go to the forums listing and look for the two icons to the left of the "Start New Topic" button, highlighted on the attached image. 

You can switch back at any time, and unless there's some enthusiasm for it I'll remove the option, to avoid people accidentally turning it on and getting stuck in there. 

One difference is that sticky topics aren't shown at the top - otherwise you get a page full of them at the front and none of the new content. You can see that in my screenshot, which I took before noticing the issue.

fluidview.png

• Like 1

I like it.

I am not sure why you would want to remove the switch button. It's easy to use and does exactly what it should do. Just keep the default view traditional so no one gets confused.

Would it be possible to add a sticky option to the top of the filters list, so that the listed stickies will be sorted by last activity too?

It has my thumb's Up too.

Often topics stride 2 or more areas and it's not easy to decide the right place to post. This helps making them visible even if posted under a header one doesn't  regularly look into. Good job!

On 29/09/2017 at 1:24 PM, Mati1 said:

I am not sure why you would want to remove the switch button.

On 29/09/2017 at 9:47 AM, roddy said:

to avoid people accidentally turning it on and getting stuck in there. 

But two people saying they like it and nobody complaining is a win, so I'll leave it there. 

• 4 weeks later...

You're on the fluid view and seem to have only selected one forum. Try the 'viewing one forum' dropdown at the right side, or click back to the normal view. If you (can) expand your browser window you'll get a more expansive list of forums to choose from. 

Will move these posts over to the relevant discussion.

Hey, I love a solvable problem...

Do you actually find that view useful, or did you get stuck in there by mistake?

You actually confused me for a while - I didn't realise the side menu disappeared in smaller browser windows, so I couldn't figure out where it'd gone. 

I started using it when it was announced.  I didn't do any filtering though.  Then one day some of the topics disappeared so I switched back to the home page.  I didn't report the "problem" until today.  Of course it was my fault for not doing any filtering.  Now, whether the default should be "opt-in" or "opt-out" is another matter, but either way it's OK by me.

Oh - I do find the "fluid view" useful.

• Like 1