Chinese-Forums

Youzi 柚子: China's "super grapefruit"

abcdefg

Am I the only one who's never bought a decent one of these: they're always tough and dry inside and I feel like a fool each time for having bought one again.

Only exceptions have been the somewhat expensive ones with pink fruit from Thailand, when bought in Thailand.

That is, you skipped over the most important part: how to choose a good one!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 2:29 PM, 889 said:

That is, you skipped over the most important part: how to choose a good one!

Hmm, quote:

On 10/3/2017 at 12:57 PM, abcdefg said:

The youzi lady helped me pick out a good one: heavy for its size and firm all over with no soft spots.

Choosing one that is dense usually means it is more juicy, less dry. I always heft several though I don't bring my own scale. (Some local grannies actually take one along when they shop.) The skin can be mottled or discolored and that doesn't matter, but it should be smooth, without wrinkles. And there should not be any soft spots. Those are signs of old fruit; some that has been on the shelf too many days. More and more vendors are displaying it wrapped in cellophane or plastic, since those measures seem to extend freshness. The grower wraps them at the time of harvest. I usually pick one of those if available.

Only exceptions have been the somewhat expensive ones with pink fruit from Thailand, when bought in Thailand.

I like those too. Often pink ones are a little more tart, which I personally appreciate. They are available in Kunming, often being sold as 红肉柚子。

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I sent the above youzi article to a friend in Canada, who just now wrote back to tell me that sadly he cannot eat them because they interfere with his meds. Since they are a member of the grapefruit family, there are indeed some drug interactions. For example, if you take lipid-lowering meds, popular in the US, youzi are not for you. Might not hurt to do a quick Google check if you are on daily medication.

In some cases they inactivate an enzyme that is responsible for breaking down the medication so that it can be excreted. This lets levels accumulate in the body and get too high. That's why these fruits shouldn't be eaten if you are taking "statins." In other cases they interfere with the absorption of the medication, resulting in sub-therapeutic levels.

Sometimes the interference is only a little and doesn't matter much, but other times it's major and can get you in trouble.

Oh, I can heft away with the best of them looking for the one with the most juice inside, but nonetheless I always seem to end up with the booby prize pomelo. I thought maybe there was a secret incantation or something.

The segmented fruit in the plastic tray at the supermarket is usually a better bet, since you more or less can see what you're getting.

• Like 1

I became addicted to 柚子 when I was in China. It was my staple afternoon snack. In our campus, there was a friendly old man was selling all kinds of fruits, according to the respective season, and youzi started to appear just after our trip to Beijing during the Mid-Autumn Festivel. I became one of his 老顾客, and he taught me how to spot which youzi are the freshest and most delicious. That knowledge is still useful, as I'm the one at home responsible for buying pomelo :D

• Like 1

I've been 'forced' to eat a lot of this fruit lately. I'm going to go against the grain and here and say I'm not particularly fond of it. Especially when compared to the 橘子!

Anyway thank you for this post as no one has been able to tell me the Mandarin name for this fruit. Mystery solved.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 889 said:

I thought maybe there was a secret incantation or something.

Haha! Must burn more incense to the youzi gods.

13 hours ago, stapler said:

Especially when compared to the 橘子!

We are starting to get a variety of fresh citrus fruit now here in Kunming. It's that time of year. Oranges and tangerines in several varieties and sizes. I love them all!

I usually cut thin strips of orange peel from the ones I eat at home, carefully avoiding the bitter white pith. Dry it in a basket for two or three days using indirect sun, and then save it in a large jar to season stir fries and stews. Adds a nice touch of tang. Also sometimes add a piece of it to a cup of chrysanthemum tea.

Just noticed a couple days ago, however, that the guys selling fresh orange juice from a cart on my neighborhood streets have raised their prices again. A cup of juice, squeezed fresh on the spot, was only 5 Yuan for the longest time. Now it is 6 or even 7.  Next year or the one after that, I suppose it might go all the way up to 10.

Adorable picture @geraldc!

@abcdefgThanks for the post - a favorite fruit of mine. We get so many varieties of 柚子 here in Hangzhou, as well as 椪柑 and 橘子. Seems like way more than the US (at least in normal markets). My girlfriend's hometown in western Zhejiang is actually totally dependent on their local variety of 柚子. Every 农村 near the town is covered in hills with 柚子 as people are still subsistence farmers, then make money on the youzi. The big gift for golden week was bottles of juice made from the local youzi - some 农村  started making it this year and it's been a massive hit. They're not ripe yet however, so we're getting southern ones right now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alex_Hart said:

The big gift for golden week was bottles of juice made from the local youzi - some 农村  started making it this year and it's been a massive hit.

I've never tried the juice. Sounds good. I'll be on the lookout for some.

The big golden week gift here was a large bag of the youzi fruit itself. It has been replaced now, only a week later, by a big bag of pomegranates 石榴。 Youzi has taken a back seat.

10 hours ago, abcdefg said:

I've never tried the juice. Sounds good. I'll be on the lookout for some.

I tried finding it on taobao but it was a failure. I think it might just be a local company, I asked my girlfriend but she says it has to be refrigerated.

We've followed the same path as you. Nice sized 柚子 was 20 kuai a week ago, today they are 11 (6.5 for week old ones!). Amazing how fast the seasons are here - two weeks ago it was 橘柑, 柚子 last week and pomegranate now. The local 柚子 will be back around 过年.