Chinese-Forums

How's my translation of this paragraph of a news article?

iand

36 minutes ago, iand said:

So are you saying that 受到 can be used in ways that 被 can't, but in this case, they are being used in the same way, so there aren't even any minuscule difference in how 孤立 can be understood? Or is there still some difference?

To me understanding it as a noun vs. a verb is the minuscule difference. When I say "underlying," and "final stage," my baseline assumption is that the passive construction using 受到 usually comes with a 的, but the 的 is deleted when it is put into the attributive clause. So the minuscule difference is overtly marked in the "underlying" form, by the presence/absence of a 的, but this originally minuscule difference is essentially neutralized when you plug the 受到 phrase into the attributive clause that points at 川普.

But the reason I make this point is that 受到 only works with verbs that have this noun version, whereas 被 does not have the same restriction. So despite the fact that the minuscule difference is neutralized in this example, it's still a difference that affects when you can use it.

他被巨人吃掉了

*他受到巨人的吃掉了

So whereas you can swap 被 in for 遭到 and 受到, you can't always do so in the reverse, which is why I wanted to emphasize they are not interchangeable. I guess you could say it's doing the same work, but in a different way.