Chinese-Forums

Intensive learning options in China

AHHK

• New Members

This is an unusual question, but can anyone recommend a place for short-term intensive study, where a person can start/leave on little or no notice? My story - have been living in HK and picking up bits of Mandarin informally for many years, but not in a serious way. My writing ability is almost non-existent and not a priority at this stage. I am waiting for a contract to come through for a new job (one where spoken Mandarin could be quite important) and would like to kickstart a program of self-study rather than idling around over the coming weeks. Shenzhen/Guangdong would be ideal, but I'd also consider Shanghai, Beijing or one of the nicer 2nd tier cities. Thank you. 

4 hours ago, AHHK said:

This is an unusual question, but can anyone recommend a place for short-term intensive study, where a person can start/leave on little or no notice?

Obvious answer: Keats in Kunming. Google it.

If you don't mind going to the Northeast, specifically Yanji, I can help you get in touch with the school my friend works at. She just confirmed that it's possible to come and go on short notice.

Earlier this year I helped another forum member to become a student there. See this thread.

Maybe I can get him to post some feedback.

one definitely worth you looking at: CLI (Chinese Language Institute) in guangxi guilin. it is a school with a very similar setup to Keats from what I hear. I studied there for 9 months last year. it is very suited to beginners, but there are always a small handful of advanced students there long term, which results in what I felt like was a very positive atmosphere to study in. there is a speak Chinese only language pledge that you can take part in, where you promise to only speak Chinese while at the school. while English is still the lingua franca in the corridors, the teachers are brilliant and will exclusively speak to you in Chinese no matter what if you do the 'pledge'. vouching for the teaching quality at a language school is always risky, as teachers come and go, and personalities/study methods is each to their own. I can only say, my three teachers that I had were so hard working and very able. I had classes with one of my teachers in every day (except weekends) for the entire nine months, and she NEVER slacked, never repeated lessons or lost hope in my miserably slow progress.

if you're interested in getting your speaking and listening down, this school is a great place to start. there do the whole tailor made thing according to your needs, and all teachers appeared very well versed in teaching speaking. Tones in particular were emphasized relentlessly.

this post is a bit of a jumble (typing on a phone while waiting outside restaurant with big blaring speaker calling tables) but I hope it helps you in your decision

• Like 1

• New Members

Thanks.... Keats and CLI are exactly the types of institutions I was thinking of, though I hadn't previously thought about Kunming or Guilin. Are there similarly reputable places in Shenzhen, Shanghai or Beijing? Obviously there are loads of outfits that will offer tutoring, but I'm hoping to find something more established, less blatantly commercial. Yanji is probably too remote for me, as I'd like to be able to do some other stuff and catch up with some of the contacts that I have in the bigger cities. 

53 minutes ago, AHHK said:

Obviously there are loads of outfits that will offer tutoring, but I'm hoping to find something more established, less blatantly commercial.

Not quite sure you mean by the last part. Keats is commercial: services are rendered in return for your fee. But they know their business and have flexible scheduling.

The other schools mentioned above might very well be excellent too, but I only have experience with this one here in Kunming. You would need one-to-one classes, at least 20 hours a week to meet your stated needs. Don't sign up for a group class; that is not as good for someone in your situation.

2 hours ago, AHHK said:

Are there similarly reputable places in Shenzhen, Shanghai or Beijing?

a reputable place in Beijing you might want to look into is IUP, however I have no experience and have heard it is more expensive than other places, and is more academically orientated.

IUP might not have the flexibility required by the OP.
How about Global Village in Beijing? Highly flexible (but no 1 on 1 classes I think).

Edit: however they are said to have lots of different classes full of korean students, including on weekends, and cheap rates, so if you wanted you could study 6 or 8 hours a day and leave anytime without losing a lot of money. But then there's accommodation to take into account...

Here's their website in English http://www.gvschinese.com/about/intro.html

and I recall we had a couple of threads here on the forum such as:

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/2200-global-village-language-institute-diqiucun-地球村/

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/9449-地球村-diqiucun-global-village-in-wangjing/

We are also a school in Kunming if you want to have a chat about options, 

We offer group classes and 1 on 1 classes. 

You can learn more about us in the Kunming Forum here

We are very flexible on times, happy to answer any questions 

Whether you choose Keats, CLI or any school best of luck with your study!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am  the forum member that Mati helped to study in Yanji. It was interesting and the people at the school were great. English is almost non existent there or if people speak it they are very hesitant to use it so you get lots of practice in Putonghua. People really don't like to talk in the street but are great if you get in an environment like a restaurant where people have a reason to talk to you.  It is a bilingual city where all of the street signs are in both Chinese and Korean. I found it very interesting to work out what was Korean and what was Chinese phonetically written in Korean.

In the school I had two classes a day in mandarin and one in Korean. They Korean that is spoken in the city is the hamgyong dialect which is spoken in north east Korea. The Korean I was taught was standard Seoul dialect which most people understand. I was studying 6 days a week which was really to much to retain. Mati's friend has a hotel on the other side of the city which I stayed in for about 6 weeks. It was a bus ride away from the school but it was nice to know the owner who was willing to any problems that would come up. Neither her or the staff speak much English.

There are a few neat locations that are I think about a 50 cent crowded  bus ride round trip. There is a beautiful Buddhist temple to the east in the city in the mountains and a hiking mountain to the south. Their is also a nice hot spring resort in the vicinity.

This is kinda late as I just say this thread. Please ask if I can assist you.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Yanji is in Northeast China close to N Korea and Russia. If you have a visa it would be easy to travel to Russia.

It went slot better for my chinese as already an advanced begginer at that point. Very few foreigners and very little english. One of my teachers spoke no english so all of our communication was in Chinese.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good experience. Especially this part.

3 hours ago, flray said:

Very few foreigners and very little english. One of my teachers spoke no english so all of our communication was in Chinese.

For Beijing/Shanghai I know of "LTL Mandarin School", someone from there posts on these forums sometimes. I remember looking for somewhere in Shenzhen but all I could find were very places that seemed more set up for expats whose company would be paying the fees. Keats and CLI are both nice and friendly, and helpful and sociable too if that's what you want. But smaller southern cities can be a bit cold and gloomy (indoors) in the winter.

On 31/10/2017 at 8:58 AM, Floridaray said:

Hi,

I am  the forum member that Mati helped to study in Yanji. It was interesting and the people at the school were great. English is almost non existent there or if people speak it they are very hesitant to use it so you get lots of practice in Putonghua. People really don't like to talk in the street but are great if you get in an environment like a restaurant where people have a reason to talk to you.  It is a bilingual city where all of the street signs are in both Chinese and Korean. I found it very interesting to work out what was Korean and what was Chinese phonetically written in Korean.

In the school I had two classes a day in mandarin and one in Korean. They Korean that is spoken in the city is the hamgyong dialect which is spoken in north east Korea. The Korean I was taught was standard Seoul dialect which most people understand. I was studying 6 days a week which was really to much to retain. Mati's friend has a hotel on the other side of the city which I stayed in for about 6 weeks. It was a bus ride away from the school but it was nice to know the owner who was willing to any problems that would come up. Neither her or the staff speak much English.

There are a few neat locations that are I think about a 50 cent crowded  bus ride round trip. There is a beautiful Buddhist temple to the east in the city in the mountains and a hiking mountain to the south. Their is also a nice hot spring resort in the vicinity.

This is kinda late as I just say this thread. Please ask if I can assist you.

Cheers.

Hi, I'm interested in this school. I've learned Korean in the past, but I don't really practise at all any more. Do you think they would do classes during January or February, or are they closed for the holidays? I dunno how much I could stand the cold during those months though.

I would recommend Omeida in Yangshuo (Guilin). It's in a very beautiful area and they offer some tailored classes. I did 4 hours 1-to-1 (then homework) there a few years ago for a month before taking the HSK5. They were good and the town is in such a beautiful location and not far from HK.