Chinese-Forums

Chinese girlfriend has visa application refused.

Johnymelad

4 hours ago, studychinese said:

In Australia the normal length of a marriage with a foreign person is around 2 years. It ends with the foreign partner getting permanent residency status. Along the way a lot of people are hurt. 

The solution is just to allow anyone to bring in a partner and require that partner to leave when the relationship ends.

Sure, but what if they divorce after ten years of marriage? Fifteen? What if the local partner abuses the foreign partner? What if the local partner dies after 30 years? What if they have children? I think you'll agree it's unfair to just send someone home in those cases. So you need some kind of cutoff, and there will always be people who see that cutoff as a hurdle to get over on their way to citizenship. There is no easy way to fix this. Educate people, be on the lookout for abuse of the rules, let everyone keep their eyes open. That's about it. And sometimes it is real love, or at least a situation that both partners are pretty happy with in the long term, so you can't just outlaw international relationships outright.

• Like 1

A Chinese guy who worked in a Chinese restaurant in London saw me reading something in Chinese on the train, started talking, offered me money to marry a relative of his so she could get a passport. Said it would only be for a couple of years. And that she was pretty.

10 hours ago, Flickserve said:

I got the same impression as he did after reading your post. In statistical terms, yours is a very small sample size in terms of the bigger picture.

My intention was to suggest:

a). living with a partner for some time before you marry them may help to ensure the marriage survives.

b). living before marriage with a partner who is a citizen of a different country from yours can be less easy to achieve than when you are both citizens of the same country.

That was it, essentially. I'm unsure how it invited so much controversy from certain quarters.

14 hours ago, realmayo said:

offered me money to marry a relative of his so she could get a passport. Said it would only be for a couple of years. And that she was pretty.

Congratulations! When is the date?:clap

He could have made the offer more attractive by saying she could help you practice your Chinese skills.....:P

On 24/10/2017 at 8:59 PM, Lu said:

We're just like real people in that regard.

Being like a real person is not the same as being a real person. Women will never understand what it's really like to be real.