Chinese-Forums

Which sentence is correct

agines124

This looks like homework:-?? What is your answer?

It is best to give your attempt and then someone may correct it, other wise we are just doing your work for you and you won't learn anything like that:P

i would also say the same for your other post in the same vien.

No, it's not my homework.  I've just seen the second sentence in my app while learning chinese. But , I don't know why there is no 了。I was told if I want to say that something happend in the past I should use 了 .That's why I asked for help

Ah well that is what you should have said in the original question

Still what do you think they mean this might help you understand them. What makes you think it happened in the past? They could simply be stating that they hear the phone ringing.

I’m sure someone will correct me, but my ‘sense’ with that statement is that it is a conditional/hypothetical statement along the lines of “whenever/if I hear the phone ring I go and answer it”. So no 了.

if there was a 了 I feel the second part of the sentence would need to include a temporal sequence. Eg 我听到了,然后我...

i think the important thing here is the 便 (就), which suggests there is an invisible/assumed/implied 如果 or something similar in the first part of the sentence

19 hours ago, agines124 said:

I was told if I want to say that something happend in the past I should use 了.

The short version: 了 is not only for past tense, and past tense doesn't always need 了.

The longer version can be found here. That site has more information that might be useful to you.

And welcome to the forums, by the way! If you have time, perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself and tell us a bit about what got you interested in Chinese. Or check out the Aims and Objectives thread (it's for this year, which is almost over, but we're still interested).

• Helpful 1