Chinese-Forums

Getting baidu as a search engine option

Pengyou

The computer that I use in school has a Chinese OS on it, so I installed Firefox, OpenOffice and VLC media player in English so that I did not have to have a Chinese lesson every time I needed to do something.  I wish that Firefox would allow me to choose Baidu.com as a search engine but it is not on the list.  Is there any way to make this happen?

An even easier way: in Firefox, select 'Options' from the 'Tools' menu at the top, and click 'Search' on the left hand panel of the Options window, it will give you Baidu together with a list of the main search engines available to you and you can arrange them in the order you want them to appear in your search window.

The link 'Find more search engines' below the main list leads to even more search engines listed as Add-ons.

This is for FF 56.0.4, but the search engines selection has always been somewhere in the 'Options' tool.

I use Baidu as my main search engine with the Firefox browser. Works just fine.

4 hours ago, Pengyou said:

The computer that I use in school has a Chinese OS on it, so I installed Firefox, OpenOffice and VLC media player in English so that I did not have to have a Chinese lesson every time I needed to do something.

Being forced into many compulsory Chinese lessons of this type every day has helped me learn to read a little better. (But I agree that it's frustrating at times.)

2 hours ago, Luxi said:

in Firefox, select 'Options' from the 'Tools' menu at the top, and click 'Search' on the left hand panel of the Options window, it will give you Baidu together with a list of the main search engines available to you and you can arrange them in the order you want them to appear in your search window.

No. The default search engines for en-US locale are Google, Yahoo, Bing, Amazon.com, DuckDuckGo, Twitter, and Wikipedia (en). If you are using the English version of Firefox, you need to manually change general.useragent.locale to zh-CN in about:config and restart Firefox for Baidu to appear in that list.

======

This is off topic, but are you planning to upgrade to FF 57, Luxi? It seems a lot of add-ons won't work. Some are important to me, like Rikaisama, a Japanese popup dictionary, but don't have a Chrome-compatible alternative.

52 minutes ago, Publius said:

No. The default search engines for en-US locale are Google, Yahoo, Bing, Amazon.com, DuckDuckGo, Twitter, and Wikipedia (en).

I was wondering about that. My Firefox is the default one for UK, probably also en-US locale, but I've had Baidu listed as search engine for years, must be because I installed it once in the past and the successive Firefox upgrades kept my settings.

The link to more search engines in Options should work, it does list Baidu and several other potentially useful additions like Baidu Translate.

54 minutes ago, Publius said:

This is off topic, but are you planning to upgrade to FF 57, Luxi? It seems a lot of add-ons won't work.

Timely reminder, thanks! FF 57 will be launched soon and it seems Perapera and Zhongwen will also be affected (though both are available in Chrome).