Chinese-Forums

Memrise or Anki?

Hector2

I would recommend Pleco. This is a dictionary engine and very good flashcard app. It does lots of things and in my opinion all students who are studying Chinese should have a copy. There is a free version which you can try to see what it is like but it is worth paying the small fee for the all options. Start with the basic package and as you learn what you need you can add it.

You need a smartphone or tablet for it. Have a look here https://www.pleco.com/

One reason I recommend Pleco over memrise and anki is it is aimed specifically at chinese learners and also it is very easy to set up and add words to.

I did a review here if you want a bit more information https://www.livethelanguage.cn/pleco-review-part-i/

and part 2 https://www.livethelanguage.cn/pleco-review/

I've used all three, but I'm not familiar with Pleco's flashcard solution. Personally, I am currently working through Chinese 1-3 in Memrise (because that's as high as it goes for German as the source language). Memrise has a very slick user interface, and gives you a solid initial grounding with the existing decks.  However, it gives you a false sense of safety, because recall (at least in the set decks I am studying) is multiple choice or using a keyboard that is restricted to only the relevant signs / letters. 

Once I'm done with Memrise , I'll use Anki as my to-go Flashcard app, because it supports anything that you might want to learn, and Chinese is not the only language that I'm learning / maintaining / refreshing - I have Survival Korean in the mix as well.  Pleco is specific to Chinese and needs quite a bit of storage space on your device. 

If you are already using Anki, and have a deck you trust and that works well for you, I'd keep going with Anki. That said, if you're serious about learning Chinese, you definitely want Pleco in your life. I'm planning to port some of the sentences to Anki and use them for cloze deletion exercises (i.e., insert the missing word). 

And now I'm off to study Shelley's review ... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maria Wolters said:

cloze deletion exercises (i.e., insert the missing word)

This is one thing missing at the moment but it is on the cards for inclusion in the major upgrade, sorry no time scales given. This was mentioned on the Pleco forum in April of 2016 so we are still waiting:shock:

I actually started off with memrise. It was quite good at the time (2012) because it built things up based on the radicals and they've really stuck with me despite abandoning it years ago.

Pleco is a must but whether or not you want to use Anki is up to you. It's the trade-off between convenience and customisation. I gave up on Anki because I was too lazy to tailor it's features to meet my needs and I had multiple decks running on multiple apps and it was all too confusing. But you should obviously choose whatever suits your needs best.