Chinese-Forums

Is Jukuu dead?

li3wei1

I've found www.jukuu.com very useful. A large corpus of Chinese sentences translated into English and/or the other way around, searchable, so you type in a word in either language and it will give you a selection of sentences containing that word, and their translations, with the key words highlighted.

Unfortunately, a few days ago, it was unfindable, and since then, I can get to the homepage, but when I enter a search term, it gives me various error messages. I've tried it in Firefox and Chrome. Is it just me? Anyone know what's going on with it? And more importantly, does anyone know of something similar? I'm getting by with Linguee, but it's a poor substitute.

Now I've tried it with Edge, and it's still giving me '403: Forbidden'.

However, if I use Chrome on my phone, it works. Unfortunately it's hard to read on my phone, and I can't copy and paste from the stuff I'm working on on my laptop. So, there's something on my laptop preventing it from working. Any ideas?

according to this site, there are three possibilities, and two of them would block other people as well, which doesn't seem to be happening. The third one is that I am specifically blocked from using the site. Presumably that would be my IP address? Does the IP address identify my computer, or my router? I can get to the site through my phone, which is using the same router.

I really doubt you are being specifically blocked, though you can easily enough compare the IP addresses of your machines on one of those what's-my-address sites. Or try the site with a VPN or proxy.

Nonetheless, sounds very much like a problem with your firewall.

Your external IP address identifies your router. It's allocated to your router by your ISP  from their IP pool. That's the normal case. But because of the scarcity of IPv4 addresses, some ISP may only give you a private IP address such as 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. In that case your router is connecting to the ISP's WAN network, and your external IP address is your ISP's machine that acts as the gateway to the public Internet. In any case, your laptop and your phone get a private address 192.168.x.x from your router. Someone on the internet cannot tell whether you're using your laptop or your phone just by looking at your IP address. Because they can only see your external IP which is your router or your ISP's gateway machine.

There has to be some difference in your network setup. Does either of your laptop and your phone use a different DNS server other than the ones obtained automatically from your router via DHCP? Open command prompt (cmd.exe), type 'nslookup www.jukuu.com', press ENTER. The domain name should resolve to 117.79.131.116 (if it doesn't then you're being hijacked). It will also show you which name server you are using, e.g. x.x.x.x (your ISP's DNS server) or 8.8.8.8 (Google Public DNS) or 208.67.222.222 (Cisco OpenDNS).

And do you run any proxy/accelerator type software on your laptop? 403 Forbidden looks like a HTTP cache server error to me.

Ah yes that's a point,  are you using data on your phone and circumventing your router at home? It is possible your phone is not on the wifi of your router and is eating up your data plan to get to the site. Worth checking, make sure your phone is not on the network, if it is not, that might explain why your phone works and your laptop doesn't.

Okay. Mobile data was on, for some reason; normally I keep it off. When I turned it off, I start getting the 403 Forbidden message on my phone, too.

So it does actually look like my IP address has been blocked by the site.

Not necessarily. It could be that your ISP recently implemented some sort of web caching purportedly to speed up browsing (and to save their bandwidth), only the caching servers got misconfigured.

But that's easy to circumvent by using VPN for example.

That changes things.

First, routers sometimes have their own firewalls, independent of the ones on your machines. So if your router has a firewall, try turning it off as well.

Second, some sites block access in certain geographic areas by IP address, not that I'd understand why a site like that would. Maybe someone in your area was flooding them with requests. In any event, this is why I suggested you should also test with a VPN. If you get through with a VPN, then you can contact the site and ask them to unblock your specific address.

Third, sometimes sites change their IP address and it takes time for the change to propagate to all DNSs world-wide. If this is the problem you can try a different DNS. Test by pinging both www.jukuu.com and 117.79.131.116, the site's actual IP address.

unplugging router didn't work, still have same IP address.

I downloaded and installed the Tor browser, and first tried it directly connecting to the browser, got the 403 message. Tried again, this time choosing the other option (your internet connection is censored or blocked), and while it's slow, I eventually got through. So this is a workaround, I can use Tor for jukuu, and it's not much more hassle than getting to it through my normal browser (could be slower, though).

But it does seem to indicate that my IP address has been blocked.