Chinese-Forums

Independent study in China, 1 year Visa

i__forget

Is it possible to get a Visa to go to study in China by yourself, for one year? So no schools/universities involved. Tourist visa is only 3 months and student visa requires some confirmation from a school that you will be joining them.

Anyone done this before, what's the best way to go about it? Thanks

Nope you will need a visa.

Tourist visa may not be so bad. A cheap flight to Korea or HK with a trip home is manageable I think. One year is only 3 times you need to leave the country (excluding flight home after the year is up)

I know several doing this . One guy flies to HK, sleeps in the airport and comes straight back.

However I would say if you plan to study a language school would be a sensible choice. They can secure an x2 Visa. X1 harder though

Hi, as far as we know immigration will not approve students studying independently for X visas

We currently provide all students with X1 Visas, our base group class is 4,000 RMB per Semester and we have many students who take up independent study 

Along with studying at Huayang. 

As an aside recent news from immigration shows there is a tightening of Visa policy 

for example there is more difficulty in transferring a tourist Visa to a student Visa. 

Also Americans can avail of a 10 year tourist Visa so if you are american you might want to check it out

4 hours ago, HuayangAcademy said:

We currently provide all students with X1 Visas, our base group class is 4,000 RMB per Semester and we have many students who take up independent study

That's a good price compare to Beijing prices. Also hardly any school  in Beijing can give an X1 visa (despite their promises) so obtaining an x1 is good advantage.

Kunming is a nice city. 

• New Members

you don't need to one-year visa if you stay in shenzhen.  Just go to the Hong Kong border and then come back and your visa will be renewed for another three months. And you can do that over and over again.

15 minutes ago, vincenthpan said:

you don't need to one-year visa if you stay in shenzhen.  Just go to the Hong Kong border and then come back and your visa will be renewed for another three months. And you can do that over and over again.

What do you mean? I believe coming from HK to Shenzhen is visa free for 5-6 days. I'm from the EU for the record. Do you mean that in HK they issue 3-month visas for Shenzhen only? What if you then move to another city? Something doesn't sound right here.

12 hours ago, HuayangAcademy said:

Along with studying at Huayang. 

You mean that for 4000 RMB i get a visa lasting for one year and classes for 18 weeks? I don't think this is the right option for me since I plan to come once after I know the first 1000 characters, in which case I think a more personalized study would be more suitable.