Chinese-Forums

Which kind of washing machine should I buy?

Pengyou

I am not interesting in a big 5,000 rmb western style wm.  I want to buy a smaller - it is only me living in the apartment - wm that doesn't shred clothes or wear them out too quickly.  I am looking at smaller "one hole-ers" that only wash and rinse  (one cycle) or the "two hole-er" that washes on one side and spins on the other.  Price range, about 500 rmb. I know there are cheaper ones, but the famous brands that produce these are around 500.

• Good question! 1

@Pengyou -- I bought one earlier this week. My situation is similar to yours, wanted a simple machine large enough for the needs of one person. Did not want to spend much, wanted simple controls, not too large a footprint, because its place is in my small kitchen. (The old washing machine recently died.)

Lots of the ones I looked at were being promoted as "able to handle curtains 窗帘" or "able to wash a quilt cover 被套," features I could not care less about. I didn't want to pay for any bells or whistles, nor did I need something that was "family sized." It has a "gentle cycle" 轻柔 as well as regular 标准。

Here's what I wound up with and it was the cheapest one in the store (五星电器)。Capacity 8 kg, side-by-side 双缸 design, Hundayi brand (made in Korea.) Model # XPB80-7119S. Important to specify that your purchase price includes delivery 送货上门 and installation 安装 as well as removal of the old one 回收。

Dimensions: 50 cm deep x 80 cm long x 85 cm high. List price ¥899, but was easily available for ¥799 with minimal haggling. Snapshots below. Used it once so far, and it worked OK. Operation was straight forward.

IMG_20171107_105218.jpg

IMG_20171107_105222.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, somethingfunny said:

abcdefg, your post has missed out the bit where you tell us about your conversations with the staff in the electrical goods store.

It's the only reason I'm here.

Haha! There wasn't much to it from a language standpoint. I first went to Suning 苏宁 and Gome 国美, farther from my home. Tried to get an idea of my options. Returned to my neighborhood appliance store, 5 Star 五星, where they had some specials for "11-11 Day" 光棍节/双十一。 Lady tried to sell me a better washer for 2,000 RMB, but this cheap one is something I can easily just leave behind when I eventually move out. Didn't want to invest more.

She said, “没事,开心就好!” I was impressed that I bought it on Tuesday, and on Wednesday before noon someone came to pick up my old one and haul it away. He was a designated 收废品 guy, who gave me 30 Yuan. The delivery guy came with the new one shortly thereafter. Not sure it would have gone that smoothly in the US.

5 hours ago, 889 said:

I think the label says it was made in 安徽省滁州市.

Maybe so. What I should have said was that Hundayi is a Korean company. Makes no difference to me. The last machine was Japanese. We run an international household here!

------------------------------------

Tidbit from Wikipedia about 11.11 day:

This festival has become the largest online shopping day in the world,[2] with sales in Alibaba's sites Tmall and Taobao at US$5.8 billion in 2013, US$9.3 billion in 2014, US$14.3 billion in 2015 and over US$17.8 billion in 2016.[3][4][5]

• Like 1

Bought one myself this week too!

It was a lot cheaper on JD than in the big 苏宁易购 store in Beijing. I'm not the haggling type anyway.

I have been using those top loading style (波轮洗衣机.) machines for years but decided to go back to the European style. (滚筒洗衣机) I don't like that many top loaders don't include a feature for hot water. (But include a feature to remotely control it with your phone:roll:)

As for brands, they last one I had was a cheap Chinese brand but did the job for years .Meide, hisense, haier all seem popular and reliable. They are about 800 upwards though. I think 500 is too low for anything reliable.

I just installed it in the last hour. As you can see the bathroom is designed for a typical Chinese style top loading style washing machine. I can only put it in diagonally to allow for door clearance. 

Remember to take the stabilising bolts out if you install it yourself! However in China is very cheap to get someone to do it. 

I just checked online, same price actually today ( 11.11)  as when I bought it a few days ago. Good news!

I confess I didn't have the patience to read the Chinese installation manual :wink:

IMG_20171111_153330.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, edelweis said:

all these are cold water washing machines right?

or did you connect them to the hot water tap

Yes, modern front loading washing machines like the my one in the picture above only take a cold water supply now but almost always have an internal heater. 

Top loading machines: most don't but looking online I never found one that does. Given they use so much water it would be expensive to run and heating water to a high temperature would be dangerous given you can randomly open the lid at any point.

• Like 1

all these are cold water washing machines right?

@edelweis -- Mine is cold water only. It's a very simple machine. Hang the water hose into the chamber, turn on the tap at the wall, and fill to the desired level.

IMG_2713.thumb.JPG.5df19aff0c291cb6d74e0a6061b3bc28.JPG

@DavyJonesLocker -- Yours looks like a good one!

• Helpful 1

30 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

@DavyJonesLocker -- Yours looks like a good one

Well it's seems to be a bit of a battle of wits with my partner. She wants all the latest gadgetry while I want a simple device to wash clothes. 

When a  wifi enabled washing machine can take my dirty laundry out of the basket, put it into the machine, add detergent and turn it's itself, is day I might consider it. :)

Washing machines have been in homes for 60 years or so. I think the manufacturers find the need to justify adding features to get one up on the competition. 

I recently bought a fridge/freezer too. Many now appear with  3 doors instead of two!

Relating it to a Chinese forum. I was surprised to find that these household goods (same model number) are, for the most part, cheaper in China than in UK