Chinese-Forums

'To stare'

js6426

Hey guys.  So I looked this one up in the dictionary, and as usual there were a plethora of options, and I'm looking for the corrects ones to fit my context.  The original meaning I was looking for was to stare as in the sense of 'to stare blankly', but not in an 'I don't get it way', but rather when you're in class and you're daydreaming, and you are just kind of staring blankly at nothing while you are off in thought!

The second would be the blank stare of 'I don't get it'.

The third 'to stare at someone', but not in an angry way.  A guy staring at an attractive girl or vice versa, for example.

The final one would be 'to stare at someone angrily'.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Good question! 1

@Dandy Jiang,

Very, very informative  answer.

No muss, no fuss, direct to the question, and very useful...     Coincidentally, I was just looking for one of the examples the OP asked for, myself. Thank you both.

It may be a bit presumptuous  of me, but I m gonna  ask you to please feel free to answer other questions of this nature in the future. We have an intrepid  band of regular responders, but I, for one, feel we can always use a few more.

Thanks again.

TBZ 

• Like 4

Doesn't always mean 'stare angrily', but 瞪 like in 瞪眼 is to glare, glower, or scowl. Can also mean to just open your eyes big, but as someone who shows my discontent with people really easily in my face, I get told to stop 瞪-ing people a lot.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, 陳德聰 said:

Doesn't always mean 'stare angrily', but 瞪 like in 瞪眼 is to glare, glower, or scowl. Can also mean to just open your eyes big, but as someone who shows my discontent with people really easily in my face, I get told to stop 瞪-ing people a lot.

Thank you!  And your avatar is a great picture, I just wish you would stop 瞪-ing me!