Chinese-Forums

Which edition/textbook to buy?

xavkno

I finally have time to study Chinese.

From what I've read many recommend NPCR but now I am doubting which Edition to get the 2nd or the 3rd the 2nd edition has all the volumes available where the 3rd one only has the first volume available.

so does anyone have any experience with both?

And is NPCR even suitable for complete beginners?

Thank you in advance.

I have already tried the hello Chinese app but I can't seem to concentrate when using it.

I use the 2nd edition for the very reasons you give, they are are available and are also well supported with audio and video.

I do think they are well suited for a complete beginner. It sounds obvious but if you start at the beginning and work your way diligently through the text book, work book, listen to the audio and watch the videos,  it leads you through things in a sensible (I think) order. NPCR introduces characters early enough to be useful and if you practice well you should have a good grasp of grammar, tones, writing and reading.

The only thing you may have to add is some form of speaking practice, you could get a tutor for this or an online language partner. There are audio exercises with the NPCR mp3s but I think the more you speak/listen the better.

One of my blogs is a review/guide to how I use NPCR. (Link is in my signature)

Personally I would highly recommend NPCR.

Its interesting that you find HelloChinese difficult to use, I would also suggest using this app as it has a good speaking section that makes you speak and corrects your mistakes.

What do you find distracting?

It's not really the app per se but I have always preferred books to digital solutions when learning guess it's a handicap of mine though if it is good for speaking practice I could try to use it for that and use it in conjunction with NPCR I may give it a go again.

Yes, its worth using an extra added bonus to NPCR for the speaking section but its also what I would consider good general revision and something a little lighter than working through my textbook, which I enjoy, but a change is as good as a rest.

Its also useful when you are on the go and its hard to use your textbooks. Good for study while waiting in a queue or on a bus etc. You can download a lesson and then you don't need a connection.

I've seen the 3rd edition and it's very similar to the 2nd. It's designed to follow the 2nd series, just updated a touch.

It's certainly not worth buying to replace the second edition by any means but if you are to buy one, I'd go for the 3rd edition. 

You should know that the NPCR, while it's a excellent well written well thought out series,. My are well worn out! However it is primarily a reader, not a spoken book. The focus of the stories can be very oriented towards Chinese  culture and tradition.

This is not a negative aspect just something you should be aware of. You will need an oral series of books to run along side NPCR. If you thinking "will I use this language on the street,?" well... yes but increasingly less so as you progress through the books.

The series is excellent until book 4 and then it seems to take a turn to the less useful, somewhat archaic at book 5 and 6

Well to be honest I never really found one I was happy with. I learnt spoken Chinese just from wechat, talking to friends etc. Chinesepod is very good actually but I found the lack of structure a little hard to stick to.

Short term spoken Chinese is a widely used series of books in Beijing but it is appalling in my view. 

To increase your oral conversation one of the most effective ways is just to have a few wechat friends. This allows you to see the characters and get a good " feel" for the language

when I am ready for practice like that how would I go about getting started with that?

sorry if all my questions are getting irritating and thanks for all the help and suggestions.

but I just want to plan a bit in advance.

9 hours ago, xavkno said:

And is NPCR even suitable for complete beginners?

Yes, but you can't do it alone. I used the second edition and went through the first book with an italki tutor. I got a third through the second volume before getting bored. I think the third edition doesn't have too many changes but has nicer colour formatting. 

In addition, I spent more than ten lessons  lessons just solely training pronunciation and pinyin. Quite tedious work but helps in the long run.

There is one thing I should have done but didn't know at the time being inexperienced at language learning methodology. That is to listen repeatedly to recordings of the same sentences or words in a loop and then trying to follow and repeat as best as possible. I was doing far too few.

Once you have drilled a basic standard set of sentences, recorded them, memorised and can say half smoothly, then you should be OK for starting on social networks. 

We use the NPCR 2nd edition at our school

One thing we try to push in in level one is character practise as we find certain students really just use the pinyin in level one and are lost when it is taken away in level 2

Quite a good series of books but they shouldn't be the sole focus of your studies

Best of luck with your studies