Chinese-Forums

expats in Harbin

kitty95

• New Members

Hello. Im looking to teach in China and one of my options is moving to Harbin. Although I want to learn Mandarin, I would still like to meet a few English speakers. Is there anyone living in Harbin now that can tell me what it is like and if there is an expat community. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kitty

• Good question! 1

I am in the same boat as you. I am going for a 4 month chinese language course at Harbin Institute of Technology. I am also fond of cold weather. A little bit of research has revealed that Harbin has some serious Russian history (dating back to ww2)  and there are russian tourists everywhere. Also that it can get really cold but the city is neat and quiet and a smooth 8 hour train ride to Beijing ( a smoother 4 hour train coming soon). The dialect spoken there is pure and understandable all over china. Also that Harbin strippers are controlled by Chinese gangs (you may not be interested in this).

I've been living in Harbin for coming on a year, so my experience is still fairly limited, but I think it's a fantastic city.  The people here are generally really friendly, the weather is cold in the winter (although it's bearable and heating is free), and hot in the summer, the city isn't overly touristy and is fairly quiet in comparison to other places I have been in China (which admittedly isn't many).  Price wise Harbin is pretty cheap, depending on where you're coming from.  Again I can't speak from experience but I imagine it to be a fair bit cheaper than Beijing/Shanghai, though someone else will have to confirm that for you.  If you want to know more then shoot over some more specific questions, and I will help with what I can!

Regarding expats, yes there are other expats here.  Outside of teachers I have seen at HIT, the only foreign people I really know are my classmates.  My other friends are Chinese.  I'm sure other foreign teachers wherever you end up teaching will be able to plug you in to the expat community, or there are various groups on Wechat that you could use to meet people (I'd be happy to invite you to those groups if you want). 

• Like 1

Tons of Russians in Harbin.  Decent food, nothing weird. Harsh winters.  One of my old friends said that because she had blonde hair, everyone assumed she was a Russian prostitute even though she was a businesswoman who spoke fluent Chinese.  

• 4 months later...
  • New Members

Hey there, I’m moving to Harbin in just under a months time to teach English. Are any of you guys still around? Won’t have any friends so would be cool to meet some people :) 

• New Members

Hi there! Did not expect a reply to be honest haha, that is still undecided, i have some more interviews scheduled over the coming days as i want to explore all my options! But quite a few of them are in the Nangang area. Are you teaching too?

p.s Are those Wechat groups still up and running?

Aden

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • New Members

Hey all, great thread for me too!

Would love to be plugged into the expat community, I just arrived here.

I'll be here for the next five months, just here to study Mandarin, so heaps of free time. My WeChat is gemgem0001. Cheers!