Chinese-Forums

Which Bamboo Steamer should I choose, classic or with steel banding?

Nevendar

Hi all,
I want to buy my first Bamboo steamer, and I wonder which will be a better.
Mostly I will use it to Dim sums and baozi.
The choise is between classic Bamboo steamer and with steel banding like this:https://www.amazon.com/inch-Bamboo-Steamer-La... 
Do you think, that steel banding make steamer stronger? Or it's just an marketing trick?

And the second think: size. I looking for 10 inch. Is it a optimal and typical size?

Thank's for any help.:)

I use a 10" plain bamboo steamer, two of them, stackable. Slightly larger, 12" is also OK. I chose the smaller size because I usually only cook for one or two people, not for a larger family group. The steamer basket needs to nest conveniently in your wok, out of the water, and not be so tall that you cannot cover it with with wok lid at times, such as when starting the steaming.

Suggest also buying some of the perforated parchment papers to set food on inside the steamer basket. A pick-up tool, for lifting the finished basket out of the wok, is also worthwhile. 

• Like 2

Perforated parchment paper lets the steam come through better from below. Here's a picture of what they look like:

https://www.amazon.com/Helens-Kitchen-Perforated-Parchment-Steamer/dp/B012P8O6EK/ref=pd_sim_79_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WAJES4E448X0N278DT33