Chinese-Forums

for a to-be furniture designer, which city is better Nanjing or Shanghai?

Nu Nu

• New Members

I am interested in Chinese art and thinking about taking a 2 years course in furniture design in China. first name comes to mind for design is Shanghai but it is pretty expensive. Nanjing is known for its educational institutes but how about woodworking traditions? or it's art scene life? are Nanjing's artists hubs and galleries active? 

if I decide to persue working in furniture design field after the course would Nanjing give me good opportunities? 

I have been thinking about your question and even spent some time searching the net for the furniture design centre in China. There does seem to be tendency for similar trades, arts and crafts to be in the same place, for example most fans and umbrellas are made in one village, so I wondered where most furniture is made. I would then suggest heading for a good school/university etc in that area, but I couldn't find an answer to my question.

So maybe someone knows where the furniture making/design centre is and that might help you decide.

• Thanks 1

• New Members

Thank you for your kindly attention Shelley. I've been searching for a while now and most expats thinks Shanghai is the good place for design it seems to me that Shanghai is more known for fashion than furniture design.... the furniture MAKING center (place with lots of factories) is in fujian I think but for designers and studios? I am not still find out that and searching for more details. 

• Like 2