Chinese-Forums

2018 CSC Scholarships

Angelina
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

Very important question

Do all the universities in china teach with Mandarin?. Apart from the 1yr preparatory classes. Do msc student get taught in chinese or english language. Bcos i dont know how difficult it would be to be taught engineering related courses in mandarin and to read the text books written in chinese language

• New Members

Hey Everyone! 

I am planning to apply for CSC scholarship next year. I am currently enrolled in a 2 two year master degree in Peking U. I have a question, is it possible to apply for the scholarship for my final year? As I am already an admitted student and all information available on the internet is about pre enrollment procedures so I am thinking whether this is feasible or not.

Thank you! 

• Like 1

@bambina1995 Hi, have you looked into other scholarships that might be available for you? I have seen Beijing Government Scholarships as an example, perhaps you can apply for these. I hope this helps. 

What have you been studying and how have you found your course and the living arrangements?

• 2 weeks later...
On December 18, 2017 at 6:07 AM, philippo said:

Bcos i dont know how difficult it would be to be taught engineering related courses in mandarin and to read the text books written in chinese language

Chinese universities are not ready to teach international students. 

On December 16, 2017 at 9:23 AM, filimdude88 said:

Thanks for the info everyone has compiled in this thread, especially Angelina, this is life-changing information.

I was thinking what to say about this because I regret my decision to study in China. I would not want to change someone's life for the worse. 

I was awarded the CSC scholarship two times and can help you navigate the application process, but as every single person in China will ask you, why study in China? 

I applied at Tsinghua under CSC in December at that time physical examination certificate was not mandatory but now they are showing it as mandatory document same case with BIT application it is generated before 2018 what can i do now no one is replying from CSC as i have sent them an email. Do they process my application or reject it as when i applied it was not mandatory 

Hello everyone!

I am now applying for this year´s CSC Scholarship (University Program) and there are a few things I would like to ask.

My plan is enrolling into a master in Philosophy taught in Chinese, which, apparently, requires among 2-3 years.
However, I only have HSK-4, so I must also go through the "language learning" period.

My first question is: if the scholarship says, on one hand, to cover "no more than 3 academic years" (which includes  both major study and Chinese language/preparatory study) and that "Recipients of Literature, History, Philosophy and Chinese Medicine will take Chinese courses for no more than two academic years" , on the other, does this mean that I could only have one year of language learning (supposing, of course, I would be able of finishing my master in 2 years)? 
If so, anyone has had the experience of boosting from level 4 to level 6 in one year with the support of these scholarships or something similar? Would you suggest me trying it or going, instead, for the English-taught programs in order to gain time and rise my Chinese proficiency meanwhile?

The second one regards the new CSC online application form: it doesn´t include a previous option which, at least in 2016, allowed you to state directly that you needed "Elementary Chinese Study Prior to the Major Study" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UssUuwsosJk&t=776s , 12:01).
Being so, is there another way of making it more evident besides choosing Chinese as "preferred teaching language"and expecting them to just imply my learning necessity ? 

Big thanks in advance! This forum has really helped me out.

Hello everyone. First let me say thank you for the awesome forum and the information provided. They really help a lot.

I got two questions regarding my preparation of the Chinese Government Scholarship University Scholarship.

1. I have studied a bachelor degree in Germany combing Business and Chinese. That means i have had 7 semester worth of Chinese courses(  7-8 hours a week) .Furthermore i have done an exchange program in Chengdu, China where i had a full-time Chinese intensive course. I am confident that i can pass Hsk 5 with little preparation. Unfortunately , i will start in internship in Taiwan in March. The HSK test is also in March. My question is , that if you have language recommendation letters from your Chinese teachers and transcript of records to prove your Chinese proficiency. Would the CSC or the Chinese universities take this into consideration? I am aware this may be a little hard to answer. But if anyone would have experience it would be greatly appreciated. 

2. My second question has to do with the medical check up required for the scholarship application. I have been to Chinese last year. Even when i had done the check up prior to leaving, it had to be redone in China again, as the university stated it wont accept the check ups from Germany. Thus, i had to pay twice. As a medical check up is quite costly here in Germany i would like to ask whether the part concerning HIV, etc ( the photo section) is absolutely required, as i probably will have do do another medical check up when i arrive in China (hopefully).

Thanks everyone answering my question. If you need more specific information regarding one of the two questions please do not hesitate letting me know.

On January 7, 2018 at 10:27 PM, Maxnexter said:

CSC Scholarship (University Program)

Does the university program offer this language course? It is usually the country program where they might offer this. Has anyone tried recently? This language course is good at getting you pass at least HSK 4 in a year and going from HSK 4 to HSK 6 is possible. 

Yet, if you look at the writing part of the HSK, this does not test the ability of the student to write papers, as master's degree students should be doing. Look at IELTS/TOEFL, then look at the HSK 6. I am not sure if the HSK 6 is an alternative. 

Your vocabulary matters, going from HSK 4 to HSK 6 means expanding our vocabulary. 

On January 7, 2018 at 10:27 PM, Maxnexter said:

The second one regards the new CSC online application form: it doesn´t include a previous option which, at least in 2016, allowed you to state directly that you needed "Elementary Chinese Study Prior to the Major Study" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UssUuwsosJk&t=776s , 12:01).
Being so, is there another way of making it more evident besides choosing Chinese as "preferred teaching language"and expecting them to just imply my learning necessity ?

This is new, thank you for pointing it out. 

They probably look at your HSK, if you don't have the one needed for admission, you might get a language course. 

Greetings,

I am so glad I found this thread - I am a senior undergraduate student from the United States applying to one of two non-degree/General Scholar "Chinese Language" programs at Peking University or Tsinghua University under the Chinese Government Scholarship - Bilateral Program, but have run into much confusion navigating through the program options on the "Study In China" website that outlines the details of the CGS. I am hoping someone can address some of my concerns and clarify some steps moving forward.

Accurate information determines how specific and accurate I can be in writing my study plan and my chances of getting the scholarship.

1. Pre-Admission Letter: Do I apply to my choice university first, get the Pre-Admission letter, and then submit my admission letter/acceptance letter to the embassy? or Do I submit all my application documents to the third party organization that facilitates between applicants and the embassy with the Pre-Admission letter included?

From the Study In China website (http://www.campuschina.org/newsdetailen.aspx?cid=66&id=3074) and the  third party organization who facilitates between applicants and the embassy, I know I must contact Peking or Tsinghua for a Pre-Admission letter, which will then be included in my application documents for the scholarship. However, when I check the Peking University website for instance, I must submit an "Award Letter for the Chinese Government Scholarship" to a separate application directly to the university to receive a Pre-Admission letter. This is confusing.

2. Duration of Studies: Do I have to just apply to study for 4 years or 2 years?

From my research, I found that Peking University and Tsinghua University offer similar "Chinese Language" programs under their "Departments of Chinese Language and Literature".

However, there are differing durations for each program. I initially only wanted to study Chinese Language in Beijing for up to two years, with the intention of starting my studies in September of 2018, but because of the the disconnect between what each university publishes as an option for applicants under the scholarship and what the "Study In China" site publishes as an option for applicants under the scholarship, I just settled with taking the "Study in China" for face value.

For example:

According to the Study in China site (http://www.campuschina.org/universityprogramsen.aspx?collegeId=136), Peking University only offers a 4-year Non-Degree program, which I assume is for General Scholars, while on their Chinese Government Scholarship webpage (http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=160), the duration of the scholarship for General Scholars is only up to 2 years (w/remedial Chinese Language courses included) .

Can someone explain this?

3. Differing application deadlines on Study in China Site: Should I take the deadlines in the last column of each program outline at face value or should I just apply?

For the Peking University Chinese Language program the deadlines are 3-11, while Tsinghua's are 12-15.

Peking: http://www.campuschina.org/universityprogramsen.aspx?collegeId=136

Tsinghua:http://www.campuschina.org/universityprogramsen.aspx?collegeId=172

4. Detailed Study Plan: Where can I find a list of courses for the Chinese Language and Literature majors at Tsinghua & Peking?

It would be nice to explain what I look forward to getting from the program, but I have depended on these vague sites to give me more info.

Tsinghua:

http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/publish/cllen/2130/index.html

http://school.cucas.edu.cn/Tsinghua-University-257/program/Chinese-Language-and-Literature-31481.html

Peking:

http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=131&id=56

http://school.cucas.edu.cn/Peking-University-256/program/Chinese-Language-31412.html

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,

Toussaint Williams

5 hours ago, ToussaintWilliams said:

I am so glad I found this thread - I am a senior undergraduate student from the United States applying to one of two non-degree/General Scholar "Chinese Language" programs at Peking University or Tsinghua University under the Chinese Government Scholarship - Bilateral Program

4. Detailed Study Plan: Where can I find a list of courses for the Chinese Language and Literature majors at Tsinghua & Peking?

This non-degree language program does not have much to do with Chinese Language and Literature courses at the respective Chinese departments. 

This program first started at BLCU and all other non-degree language programs at Chinese universities are modelled after that one. If you are trying to apply for this course, you could look at BLCU first. 

3. Differing application deadlines on Study in China Site: Should I take the deadlines in the last column of each program outline at face value or should I just apply?

For the Peking University Chinese Language program the deadlines are 3-11, while Tsinghua's are 12-15.

You should take the deadlines into consideration. You can select three universities when applying, you can put any programs whose deadline has already passed as your last option just in case. 

BTW Try this link if you are interested in Peking University. 

http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=252

Hi,

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickl!  I'm still a bit unclear tho.

19 minutes ago, Angelina said:

This non-degree language program does not have much to do with Chinese Language and Literature courses at the respective Chinese departments. 

The language program w/ a short- and long-term option that you directed me to is only up to 4 semesters long, and appears to be just the language preparatory courses that students take before beginning their Chinese-taught courses in whatever area of study. In my case it will be "Chinese Linguistics," which is a major under the Department of Chinese Language and Literature at either Tsinghua or Peking. Is this correct?

If awarded the scholarship, my goal is simply to study Chinese for up to two years as a non-degree general scholar. But to my understanding, I will need to take up to 2 years (if necessary) of preparatory courses before taking these Chinese taught courses.

So, will I accomplish this by enrolling in the Chinese Language (& Linguistic) program at Peking or Tsinghua?

Thank you for bearing with my questions and concerns. I just want to be completely clear in the application process. I'll look into the BCLU program!

Best,

Toussaint

12 hours ago, ToussaintWilliams said:

My goal is simply to study Chinese for up to two years as a non-degree general scholar. But to my understanding, I will need to take up to 2 years (if necessary) of preparatory courses before taking these Chinese taught courses.

Wait, this is a bit confusing. 

What is your background and what else do you know about studying in China? Have you studied Chinese before? 

Hi, I'm applying for csc scholarships this year and I have a question which my university can't answer. There is an option for 5 students from my school in Poland to apply for masters at Beijing Institute of Technology, it's some kind of cooperation between the schools and my university gives them a recommendation letter for chosen students, I already got the letter and now I have to apply at csc website and BIT's website. But here's my question if I'm already recommended does it change my chances of getting the scholarship in the end? It's the first time I heard about getting the government scholarship thanks to my home university. 

Also while applying on csc website I have to use the agency number of the school. So I can't apply for any other university or major, right? I only have this one shot.. Does it make sense to apply with help of my current school or should I apply through embassy? 

On 1/11/2018 at 2:44 AM, Angelina said:

Wait, this is a bit confusing. 

What is your background and what else do you know about studying in China? Have you studied Chinese before? 

Hi Angelina,

Sorry for the confusion. I just want to know if I can JUST study Chinese under the Chinese Government Scholarship. I'm worried if I indicate I want to "Chinese Language & Linguistics" at Tsinghua (as found on their page on the Study in China site) or "Chinese Language" at Peking (as found on their page on the Study in China site), I'll be communicating that I want to study the in-depth linguistics and language studies students would do in a Bachelors or Masters degree. I just want to study Chinese for 2 years up to the advanced level and return to the States.

In regards to your question on my background, I took Mandarin courses throughout high school and am currently taking an intermediate Mandarin course at my university. I also spent 3 months in Beijing two years ago on a cultural exchange.

Below are potential paragraphs from my study plan for Tsinghua & Peking outlining my plans after getting the scholarship. Let me know if I've go the process wrong wrong:

Upon receiving the scholarship, I plan to enroll in Peking University’s Department of Chinese Language and Literature, with a specific focus on Chinese Linguistics. To ensure my success, my studies will begin with preparatory language courses in the university's Chinese Language Studies Program, for the first 2 years (4 semesters) to further develop my ability to proficiently read, write, and orally communicate in Chinese-taught courses. Upon my completion of these courses, I will delve into the 4-year Chinese Linguistics program as a non-degree student to develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of Chinese language, literature, society, and culture through engaging with courses in Chinese history, contemporary and classic Chinese language, readings and works in Chinese contemporary and ancient Literature, and Chinese characters and writing. During my tenure at Peking University, I also look forward to participating in extracurricular activities outside of class such as taking part in city events and visiting historical city monuments to further facilitate cultural immersion and a deeper understanding of China.

or

Upon receiving the scholarship, I plan to enroll in Tsinghua University’s Department of Chinese Language and Literature. To ensure my success, my studies will begin with preparatory language courses at the university’s International Chinese Language & Culture Center, for the first 2 years (4 semesters) to develop my ability to proficiently read, write, and orally communicate in Chinese-taught courses. Upon my completing these courses, I will delve into the 2-year Chinese Language and Linguistics major as a non-degree student to develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of Chinese language, literature, society, and culture through engaging with courses in Chinese history, contemporary and classic Chinese language, readings and works in Chinese contemporary and ancient Literature, and Chinese characters and writing. During my tenure at Tsinghua University, I also look forward to participating in extracurricular activities outside of class such as taking part in city events and visiting historical city monuments to further facilitate cultural immersion and a deeper understanding of China.

• Like 1