Chinese-Forums

2018 CSC Scholarships

Angelina
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

• New Members

Hey guys, 

I would like to apply for a CSC this year but I'm bit confused when it comes to the application process so I have a few questions:

1. Is this the official online application page? http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/login (also, do I need to do something besides applying here?)

2. I'll be finishing my final high school year soon but before I get my diploma most of the deadlines will be over. What should I do?

3. For what degree should I apply considering that I'm going to finish high school this year? (there is no bachelors, masters or phds system in my country, it works differently here)

4. Are IELTS/TOEFL certificates required?

6 hours ago, Stefko said:

Hey guys, 

I would like to apply for a CSC this year but I'm bit confused when it comes to the application process so I have a few questions:

1. Is this the official online application page? http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/login (also, do I need to do something besides applying here?)

2. I'll be finishing my final high school year soon but before I get my diploma most of the deadlines will be over. What should I do?

3. For what degree should I apply considering that I'm going to finish high school this year? (there is no bachelors, masters or phds system in my country, it works differently here)

4. Are IELTS/TOEFL certificates required?

@Stefko 1.Yeah the link you have is the official online application. Create an account, click Application tab on top once you log in and you should be good to go. Also, read the first post of this fourm. It breaks down what you should be doing. And visit your country's Chinese Website for they may have specific instructions for applying through there. 

2. If you're finishing high school, you need to get a form from an official at school confirming that you're graduating from there and get that notarized and attach it to your application. 

3. Why are you asking us this? What are you looking to study? Are you just going for the Chinese Language Program? Undergrad/Bachelor's program (aka after high school)? What do you want to study? Do some research and think about it. 

4. Like I said, go read the first post in this fourm. Reading is fundamental.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• New Members

Hey, thank you very much for replying. I could never get my head around the trouble of doing paperwork and this is actually really difficult for me, but also getting or at least doing my best on getting this scholarship means a lot to me so I can't miss this chance.

4 hours ago, Nnedi Ugo said:

3. Why are you asking us this? What are you looking to study? Are you just going for the Chinese Language Program? Undergrad/Bachelor's program (aka after high school)? What do you want to study? Do some research and think about it. 

So basically I want to study Software Engineering or Computer Science (taught in English) somewhere that is near Beijing. That would be ideal but pretty much doesn't matter. But the problem is that any Bachelor level course that I found on http://www.csc.edu.cn is taught only in Chinese. Am I just stupid or do they actually only offer certain courses in English?

This stuff is super overwhelming for me because there is so little info about the CSC in my country so I actually have no one to ask about this stuff. Thanks for helping me through this. :)

2 hours ago, Stefko said:

Am I just stupid or do they actually only offer certain courses in English?

Most students in China are Chinese. They do have occasional courses a visiting scholar teaches in English. They also have some entire programs taught in English, but you have to find one. 

2 hours ago, Stefko said:

This stuff is super overwhelming for me because there is so little info about the CSC in my country so I actually have no one to ask about this stuff. Thanks for helping me through this.

I think the problem with the CSC is not the lack of information in other countries. On the contrary, a lot of the information goes through the CSC and embassies. It would be better to have Chinese scholars interact directly with scholars in other countries. For example, you are studying computer science somewhere not in China, you already know someone who is teaching in China, and then you use the CSC Scholarship for what it is, a way to fund a degree you are already planning to apply to. Things are the way they are. An alternative option is to try with the specific area of research. For example, what I did was to look for a professor working in cognitive linguistics. My Chinese teacher recommended what she thought was the best university in China, and I then found people working in this area at that school. The CSC can pay for your studies, but the rest is up to you and the university. 

• Helpful 1

First of all, thank you very much @Angelina for creating this thread and actively replying to it.

@Nnedi Ugo Thank you for uploading the pictures of those emails. They are very helpful!

A little bit about me - I went to China in 2013-2014 on the CSC to study Chinese language at BLCU.

After that, I returned to the US where I studied Business at a large state university. I am set to graduate from said university in May of this year.

What am I back here for then? Well, while in university I discovered that I have a passion for nutrition and human physiology. I have learned a decent amount about this subject through self-study and have decided that I want to be formally educated in the area.

So, I am looking for a general biology, nutrition, physiology, life science, anatomy, etc. degree from a University in a major city. I still have several friends from my previous time in China that live in Shanghai and Beijing, so I would prefer to study in one of those cities.  

I highly doubt that there are English-taught programs for biology/nutrition, and I'm OK with that. From what I understand, the nature of the school work in this subject is more project based and has less of an emphasis on writing, essays, perfect grammar, etc. (I don't want to find myself in the situation that@Angelina was in). I could be wrong about this though, as it does depend on the professor and curriculum. 

I passed the HSK 5 in 2014, and from the looks of it should probably re-certify to submit with my application.

So now I get to start the fun part of digging through old posts and researching which science program would be suitable for me... yes!!!

I'll take a shot in the dark though, if anyone does have any information about general biology/nutrition related bachelor programs in China, please message me lol!!!

I'll update on the status of my situation when something significant happens. 

Thanks again for everyone contributing here and hopefully by this time next year I'll be in studying in China!

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Can someone help me with my problem? Is there anywhere a list of courses that are taught in English (maybe someone already knows a good Software Engineering school that offers that course in English, just as a side note tho)? And if there isn't any that interest me can someone tell me when you get a scholarship for a Chinese taught course do you get any language training first if your Chinese is non-existant?

Thanks in advance guys. <3

14 hours ago, will nicholas said:

I understand, the nature of the school work in this subject is more project based and has less of an emphasis on writing, essays, perfect grammar, etc.

Yes. If you have a passion for writing, it is important to learn how to write well.

There are some people who do experiments, as you said, project based school work, in that case you do a write-up of the experiments you have conducted. Writing is important as well, I would not completely disregard it, but there is less of a focus on writing. 

14 hours ago, will nicholas said:

I'll take a shot in the dark though

This is the right attitude to have when you are planning to study in China. Not that many people have done what you are planning to do. Therefore, instead of asking whether or not they already have what you are looking for in China, you should ask yourself if they have the right environment for you to do what you want to do. It might be a rewarding experience, but the risks are still there and you have to pay attention. From my own experience, if anyone is thinking about attending a program taught in Chinese, you should work on your writing skills. 

5 hours ago, Anarhi said:

Can someone help me with my problem? Is there anywhere a list of courses that are taught in English (maybe someone already knows a good Software Engineering school that offers that course in English, just as a side note tho)?

Good idea. Perhaps we need a new thread, because this one is on the CSC, how to apply for the scholarship. Have you tried the threads on Chinese universities? 

• Helpful 1

Hey guys, so I'm starting to fill out the online CSC application..  I'm only applying only for Chinese Language study.. but "Discipline Applying For" and "Major Applying For" are mandatory to fill in. I expected there to be a selection for language but there isn't one, and I'm not applying for a major. I don't want to fill it in with something random and confuse them at the embassy/CSC. Anyone know what to do in this situation/am I overlooking something?

5a77c5de9a251_ScreenShot2018-02-04at9_46_26PM.thumb.png.1546081a870962112dc6871b17e2fd09.png

19 hours ago, tinatina said:

am I overlooking something

Yes, scroll down for Literature. 

Choose "Chinese Language". 

ScreenShot.thumb.png.e2fd53ef9633970f0fa5f8ebf7f4576f.png

• Helpful 2

19 hours ago, tinatina said:

and I'm not applying for a major

Also, selecting General Scholar (Apply as tab) means that you are not applying for a major, but applying as a non-degree student instead. This is called 进修生 in Chinese. 

BTW Can you take a screen shot of the options you get at "Apply as"? General Scholar is for those who already have some university experience. If you never attended any university, you might get different options than what I got. 

• Helpful 1

17 minutes ago, Angelina said:

BTW Can you take a screen shot of the options you get at "Apply as"?

5a78dd88347d3_ScreenShot2018-02-05at5_39_48PM.png.705e6aeb85cfb392e23fe16f5b63a0bd.png

Assuming it's the same, I have a Bachelor's already, but am just applying for a 1 year general scholar language program. 

1 hour ago, Angelina said:

Yes, scroll down for Literature. 

Thanks, I wasn't sure if that meant I was selecting to actually study Chinese literature and not language study :) 

Has anyone else encountered problems typing in data in the CSC application...? Must be some bug in the system. When I try to type in my name and surname in the relevant fields, it either allows me to type in the first letter only, or not at all...Copying and pasting in doesnt work, as I still get the "Fill in all required fields" notice. Tried three different browsers. This is so unnerving...

Edit: Just found out it goes through if I type in Caps Lock. So strange...

Edited by Kambili
  • Good question! 1

Hi guys, 

I did a search in and out and was not able to find much information about getting a pre-admission letter. Would anyone happen to know how to get the pre-admission letter? I tried contacting a few universities, but I believe the school is closed for CNY until Feb 24. I supposed I could complete the online application with the school, I believe there's a fee involved as well. I read on Peking University website that it can take 8-10 weeks for a decision. Is there any way to get one sooner? If anyone can shed some light on the steps on getting the letter it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance ;)

10 hours ago, tinatina said:

Assuming it's the same, I have a Bachelor's already, but am just applying for a 1 year general scholar language program. 

Yes, General Scholar. 

4 hours ago, Kambili said:

Just found out it goes through if I type in Caps Lock

Yes. 

1 hour ago, trendzme said:

I believe the school is closed for CNY until Feb 24

All the schools are closed now. The good part is that you can use the time to find the right program for you. 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55435-2018-csc-scholarships/?do=findComment&comment=429818

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Hey Angelina,

you seem to know a lot. Would you mind me asking whether you ever encountered an major being available on the CSC site of the university, but when trying to find it in the data during application process you cannot find it? In that circumstance does that mean it is not avaialble or should i go with a similiar name. I am looking for the New Media master degree in the Communication University of China ( CUC). But when trying to apply for it i cannot find it or any other english medium courses. I can only find the Digial Media Arts, which i believe is chinese medium course. Kind regards, Natalis Ture

10 hours ago, Kambili said:

Has anyone else encountered problems typing in data in the CSC application

I had the same problem, took me a lot of tries and frustration to figure out the caps lock thing :wall

7 hours ago, trendzme said:

I supposed I could complete the online application with the school, I believe there's a fee involved as well

I was able to email my target university directly.. just had to send them an application via email, my degree copy, and passport scan. They then sent me a pre-admission letter. I would email them before doing an online application, I didn't have to pay the fee for pre-admission this way. (Although I'm sure all universities do things differently). But yeah, for sure no one will get back to you until after the new year. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1