Chinese-Forums

2018 CSC Scholarships

Angelina
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

4 hours ago, Mengdaoren said:

Also, do any Americans know the contact person at the American consulate in D.C.? I've had an extremely hard time contacting him/her. An email address would be really helpful... the "contact us" page on their website is down -_-

The contact person is Ms. Yang Cancan, but she doesn’t always respond... 

Here’s her email: Removed. If the email address is publicly available, link to a page where it can be found. If it's not, we shouldn't be posting it in public

i applied qinghua, peking and fudan universities. i saw that tsinghua send email to the applicants who won the scholarship, i am pretty upset that i really wanted to study in tsinghua.

what about peking and fudan? how long we should wait as i am about to get crazy..

congrats who won the scholarships by the way! you guys deserved it! :)

@Mengdaoren Thanks good luck to you too! and it was great for sure I adore this city/the food and the university is pretty centrally located so thats nice. I only did Chinese studies so I can't speak much about the masters program but I had a fantastic year and its easy to meet a lot of foreigners as well as Chinese people. 

Just want to clarify, that the above shared list for European applicants is NOT for those who applied through embassy route. I was heartbroken for about an hour, until my embassy gave me the happy news. 

Best of luck to everyone!

@Manuu maybe apply direct to universities next time? You have more experience and it seems university recommendation is easier to land.....

Hey all, the U.S. Embassy in D.C. does, in fact, have the list of people who were awarded scholarships. I assume that the embassies of other countries have them too. Give your embassy a call and they should be able to tell you.

Sadly, I was not awarded a scholarship myself. I gave them an eleven-month old health check and did not upload my HSK 5 report through the CSC website, which probably explains my failure. I'm not throwing a pity party, but this is where I went wrong and I hope others don't make the same mistake. Best of luck to everybody!

Edit: Also, I assume that the embassy has the results of everyone who applied; although, I did not send an application to the embassy. I sent one directly to my university and through the CSC website. I am still not expecting to receive a scholarship.

@Mengdaoren the university can award scholarships themselves in the instance of the CSC being denied. I was told back in May/June my uni didn't think I was going to get the CSC (still not sure why as I have a good CV/strong recommendations) so they waived my tuition fee and gave me a 40,000 RMB per year stipend themselves. Worth asking about! (this was Renda)

@tomovhell Wow! That's awesome. Did you initiate that conversation with them or did they send you the offer first? I'll definitely look into it. Thanks

@peachyyy No, I called them directly and the lady was nice enough to look and see if my name was on the list. I assume I didn't get a scholarship, but I never sent my application to the embassy in the first place. 

On 11/25/2017 at 8:07 PM, Angelina said:

This is where your application will be going:

Steps for Embassy application
1. You send your application to a third party representative of CSC (maybe your school).
2. The third party (OR you can apply directly) sends application to your native country's China Embassy.
3. Your native country's China Embassy sends your application to the Beijing CSC office.
4. The Beijing CSC office sends your application to your selected schools.
5. If and when a school accepts you, your acceptance is sent to the Beijing CSC office.
6. The Beijing CSC office sends your acceptance to your native country's China Embassy.
 7. The China Embassy sends your acceptance and all needed documentation to you.

Steps for direct application to universities for Post graduate applicants

1) Send your application to your preferred school

2) If admitted, school notifies you.

3) School sends it to CSC

4) CSC approves

5) School notifies you.

6) You get yourself into China

At any step of this process your application may be rejected. Again we don't know why, how, or when the decision is made. In the end, the school gets a final say on whether you receive the scholarship or not.

So, I'm a little confused about this whole process. I called the embassy and they told me I was not on the list of scholarship recipients. However, I never applied to the embassy. I assumed that the embassy receives the names of every scholarship recipient who's a citizen of that country regardless of whether or not they applied to the embassy or to their target university. My assumption seems to run contrary to what the steps say above^. I'm going to call back and see what's what.

@Mengdaoren I guess I was being a bit of pain because they'd told me results would be out by May, then early/mid/late June and they said that the ISO hadn't heard anything so assumed I wasn't on the list . But were happy to make me an offer under some International Talent Attraction programme (卓越国际学生奖励金) so it can work out!