Chinese-Forums

2018 CSC Scholarships

Angelina
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

shamaziav2@yahoo.com

Has anyone heard anything from Tongji? I literally haven't been contacted once by them since applying, and I was chosen as a scholarship recipient to Tongji. I didn't even know I had been accepted to the school.

@Mengdaoren I applied directly to the university, I got the scholarship, they announced it on 23rd of July Beijing time. The wait is finally over for me. Congratulations to anyone who has won, and good luck to anyone who's still waiting.

Edited by Foxygrandpa
  • Like 1

Is there anyone in this group attending Beijing Language and Culture University or know of any other Chinese-Forum/Facebook groups I can join to meet other people? The group does not have to be Chinese Government Scholarship-related.

-Toussaint

20 hours ago, shamaziav2@yahoo.com said:

I'm a little bittersweet about it because I really changed my mind into wanting to goto SJTU, but I'm going to appreciate the opportunity to the fullest. Congratulations to everyone else who has gotten good news, and good luck to those still waiting!

You can't just "change it". If you want to attend the other school, they assume that you don't want the scholarship and that you will be a self-paying student if you choose to attend the other school. Scholarships aren't transferable to other unis.  

Congrats to everyone! Glad to hear all the great results from everyone. I also received the scholarship to attend Sichuan University for their language program. But I also received the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship to study in Taiwan. Plus, I heard from them much earlier and I have already studied in China already and want a different experience. Good thing is my start date for Sichuan is in Feb so I have time to decide to stay in Taiwan or go to China after a semester in Taiwan. Decisions, decisions decisions! Good luck to everyone on your preparations to go to China! It will be an interesting one. 

2 minutes ago, Nnedi Ugo said:

Congrats to everyone! Glad to hear all the great results from everyone. I also received the scholarship to attend Sichuan University for their language program. But I also received the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship to study in Taiwan. Plus, I heard from them much earlier and I have already studied in China already and want a different experience. Good thing is my start date for Sichuan is in Feb so I have time to decide to stay in Taiwan or go to China after a semester in Taiwan. Decisions, decisions decisions! Good luck to everyone on your preparations to go to China! It will be an interesting one.

WOAH I GOT THE SAME ONE!!! From the TECO Office in Boston!! Small world.

2 minutes ago, Mengdaoren said:

@Nnedi Ugo Hi, did you apply directly to Sichuan University? That's my main choice as well, and I've heard nothing from them so far!

also, congrats!

Nah, I applied through the embassy route. First choice too. My second time applying and also the second time I received my first choice. First time Fudan, second time Sichuan. Thank you. Maybe you'll hear from them very soon! My friends that also are studying at Fudan a second time around heard from their embassies a few days before I did. Let's hope there's just a delay in emails being sent out. 

8 minutes ago, ToussaintWilliams said:

WOAH I GOT THE SAME ONE!!! From the TECO Office in Boston!! Small world.

Oh wow, how awesome! I didn't know you applied to the Huayu one as well. Yeah, I applied to the one in DC and got it back in April. I would've waited for China, but man...living there was something else...it was fun, but idk if I could do it again ahaha. I still want to learn Chinese, but a change is needed! But we'll see...I am currently in Taiwan actually. Love it here. So nice!

4 minutes ago, Mengdaoren said:

@Nnedi Ugo Smart! I applied directly to the uni. I wish I would have applied through the embassy first because those applications are certainly prioritized. I'm hoping the money isn't all dried up!

Ah damn, yeah good luck bro! Wishing all but the best! 

• New Members

Hey everyone. Sorry if a question like this has already been answered but the amount of posts on this thread is a little overwhelming haha. 

I'm a Canadian and have been accepted into Tsinghua University and will receive funding from CSC. Several Canadian universities have a special agreement with China and we have a program called CLIC through which I get CSC scholarship funding. The problem I'm dealing with is that I haven't received my admission package from CSC (Tsinghua said CSC will be the ones who send it to me) and my dorm room booking period ends today, which requires my admission package. I've emailed people at the university but in the mean time I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the CSC being slow to send out university admission packages to students they're funding? And is there is a CSC address I should contact to ask about my admission package? 

Thanks for your help everyone. There's so much paperwork but it's all worth it and I'm super excited! 

@jonkolos if your scholarship includes accommodation you will probably be allocated a dorm room automatically. Usually it's the cheapest they offer so often a twin/shared room between two students. Some places have more per room.

Some institutions also restrict their scholarship students from upgrading rooms in the initial booking period as the scholarship students get priority for the basic rooms so I think they find people then switching an issue. If you wanted a better room there might be options later on. 

Finally I'd chase things up with Tsinghua over CSC as if they can provisionally get you room that's safer than rushing the CSC guys for their paperwork. I know Renmin said that this year they didn't have enough rooms for all students so that's worth bearing in mind and definitely worth checking out with Tsinghua. 

• Helpful 1

shamaziav2@yahoo.com

Hey all, hoping someone may know the answer to this.

I've seen that there have been people with questions about transferring schools after receiving the CGS, and from what I've seen it's not possible, or at least very complicated if so.

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to apply to the Shanghai Government Scholarship after the first year of the CGS, and apply to a different school in that way?

I've been chosen for the CGS at Tongji through the embassy, but I had also been nominated by SJTU through the university program, and I'd rather go to SJTU as it's a better school in my opinion. I've already been informed theres nothing I can do this year, and if I want the CGS I must attend SJTU. I'm just curious if it would be at all possible to apply for the Shanghai Scholarship next year, and apply to SJTU again? Or will they automatically reject it if I'm a CGS recipient?

• New Members

Hi!

I applied under the Houston Embassy track. Approximately what date will we find out our results?

I have been having trouble getting in contact with my local embassy. 

Thanks 

@shamaziav2@yahoo.com I doubt you'd be automatically rejected but if you accept the place at one and apply for another they'll see it on your CV/Resume and probably think you're a bit greedy. 

Some Unis, Fudan for example, told me to only apply for one unless you're really uncertain about admission. I guess they say that because of situations like this. So it might then count against you in terms of judgement. 

On the other hand if your application is strong enough they might not even bother going into that much detail.

If you really want to go to SJTU I'd wait a year but that also involves risks too

shamaziav2@yahoo.com

@tomovhell  I get that, but I wonder if it would be seen as less "greedy" if I only applied to SJTU? Since applying I've had great correspondence with SJTU and really became excited about the potential of attending, while Tongji has not communicated with me at all since applying, and doesn't even respond to my emails. 

I know it's my own fault for the way I ordered my preferred schools on my embassy application, but I can't help but feel like Tongji just kind of swooped in and took me away from SJTU hahaha.

@shamaziav2@yahoo.com from what I've seen relationship is key in these things so I would just go for applying again just for SJTU.

If you explain to your admissions contact the situation and make it clear how much you want to go then you're in with a much better chance. 

But yeah I get you completely on the communication issue. It's annoying and IMHO doesn't suggest a good future with that institution 

@shamaziav2@yahoo.com To be honest with you, the embassy is the best for you and I'm sorry to tell you that, you can't do anything about changing the schools, it's either you go to Tongji or wait next year and apply again and choose SJTU. 

Also, have you made enquires about the package of the SGS?

My advice to you is just to accept the embassy offer and go like that. 

@jonkolos Tsinghua sent my package through DHL and it arrives today . However they stated in their international student guide book they sent to me some few days ago that , CSC award winners (full scholarship) do not need to reserve a dorm since the school has automatically assigned a dorm to each person .