Chinese-Forums

App similar to WorkAudioBook with Mac Compatability

emuboy

Hi,

I am looking for an app that functions similarly to WorkAudioBook to practice listening to dialogues. I want to be able to split the dialogue up into sentences and then repeat it sentence-by-sentence until I understand it. I saw Smart Repeater mentioned in another thread but it seems to be for iphones/ipads, which I don't use.

11 hours ago, imron said:

How much would you be prepared to pay for such a piece of software?

Depends on how well it works and how many features it includes (an auto-transcribe or something would be cool and anything that helps automate and simplify the process of studying with audio).

5-15 USD

As an added bonus, since it wouldn't be Chinese specific, you have a much bigger market.

I just had a quick play around with some audio programming on macos and it's probably not too difficult to detect silences and allow users to play and repeat everything between the silences.

That'd be the barebones proof of concept I could put together.

Other things like subtitles and Anki exporting and whatnot would have to come later depending on whether or it did any well.  Auto-transcribing is possible, but it would require separate, ongoing payments because all the companies providing this to any level of accuracy charge based on usage - it's pretty cheap though maybe $0.03/minute and would support multiple languages (including Mandarin).

• 2 years later...

I have been auto-transcribing audio sources and creating Anki decks automatically for several months.

Does anyone want to post links to some freely available audio resources and I'll see if I can create and upload some decks to AnkiWeb and share the links here.

Clear speech without overlapping speakers works better and only one language.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...