Chinese-Forums

External ink tanks on printers

Pengyou

I bought a printer about a dozen years ago that had ink tanks outside of the printer, connected to the printer with long, thin hoses.  It didn't work very well - actually it worked well when it worked but often didn't work.  Now I see Epson selling a printer that includes tanks outside of the printer that can be refilled by the user.  Recently, I see JD selling Canon printers with an aftermarket kit - external ink tanks.  JD usually doesn't sell junk. 

Does anyone have any recent experience (within the past 2 years) working with a printer that has external ink tanks?  It is likely that I will be printing 200+ pages per week, so the economical aspect of these tanks is quite appealing.

Yes, a laser is certainly better for high volume, but I also want to be able to print relatively high quality photos, and will be printing many things in color for students that I tutor.  Laser color printers are much cheaper not than before, but the toner is still pretty spendy.  The quality of photos is still not that good from a laser.