Chinese-Forums

What app is good for when I am done with HelloChinese?

Pianote

I am almost done with the HelloChinese app. It is helping me learn basic Chinese as I did not know a lick of Chinese when I started.

Is there another more advanced app that will help me learn, say, 2,000 Chinese words?

I want it to teach me grammar and how to use sentences like HelloChinese did.

• Good question! 2

Perhaps you're looking for something like this: https://ninchanese.com/

It will keep you interested with some sort of story but does a great job of explaining the grammar points and goes well pass 2000 Chinese words. 

At a certain point, I recommend you adding more to your learning process than grammar and vocabulary, as that will only go so far. The fact that you  worked through all of HelloChinese is a great accomplishment and shows a lot of commitment. Props to you for that.

I recommend you consider checking out some graded readers once you pass roughly 300 words (mandarin companion, Chinese breeze). This will help you naturally review the words according to frequency as you'll encounter the most common words more often. These graded readers also go to great lengths to include the grammar patterns you need to know, which is awesome. You can get more grammar explanations on the grammar wiki as well. (the hyperlink page is loading too slowly ATM so here: https://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/) More importantly, graded readers might help to keep you interested and add reward to the hard work you're putting in to learning new vocabulary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1