Chinese-Forums

What Chinese food do you like to cook at home?

abcdefg

30 minutes ago, 陳德聰 said:

I also often feel like anything involving ground meat tends to be both more economical and more likely to be delicious if I make it at home, because I get to season the meat however I like, often with lots of 花椒 and 孜然.

I agree with you 老陈。Plus when I buy ground meat I have the butcher grind it to order. I buy good quality meat and have it made 70 or 80 percent lean, depending on the specific use. Ground meat purchased in bulk for restaurant use here can contain undesirable scraps and "mystery items." 

And, not only the meat, but I can't always count on the restaurant to use decent oil. I think the big scandal over "gutter oil" 地沟油 has passed, but some places might still cut corners by reusing their oil too many times.  

• Like 1

Thanks, @realmayo -- That recipe does look completely straight forward. I have put it on my calendar to make sometime later this week or next. I've eaten it out several times and it has always been special. 

The first time I ever tasted it was sitting on a sunny terrace at Longjing Hill 龙井山 outside West Lake 西湖 overlooking the manicured tea fields at noon. It came with a simple green vegetable and steamed rice.

I complimented it with a "bottomless glass" of early-season 明前 Longjing tea 龙井茶。The waitress put the dry tea leaves in the glass and served it with a large thermos of water that I could use for refills at my own pace. The combination of the food, the beverage and the scenery made a strong impression. It was one of those memorable "life is good" moments.  

Thanks for the tip on the wine. That makes sense, since it's not just a "splash" in a stir-fry. I'll buy some better quality Shaoxing before making this dish. I usually just get a random bottle from the grocery store shelf. This time I'll research it a little better. 

Cold weather is the time for this kind of food. Can't wait to give it a try!