Chinese-Forums

How To Find A Temporary Job During New Year's Break?

Pianote

I am an American English teacher working in southern China. I am new to here  and not sure how's  things work  with the breaks. 

I will be out of work without pay between early January and late February. I would like to make some money during that time. 

I am also open to leaving the country during this time if it means me being able to work.

What should I do?

Pianote. Don’t be like that. It’s a reasonable question. 

You can likely:

- Find some tutoring jobs through an agency.

- Find a winter English camp. 

- Reach out to a local ESL school and see if they need anyone to cover or are short of staff. Schools like this usually are. 

Not sure how easy it will be to find these things but you can try.

Worth noting if you’re in China youre on a work visa, it is tied to your current employer. Any work you do not for them won’t be legal 

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

Word to the wise, people all around here are getting busted for part-time teaching outside their legitimate employer.  3 people I know of, including jobs way out in the countryside.  I don't know if it's a local thing or what.  5000 yuan fine for you, 10,000 for the school.  

18 hours ago, Pianote said:

I am also open to leaving the country during this time if it means me being able to work.

Where are you prepared to go to? If it's back to the states then you could try some part time work in your own country without all the hassle, but I doubt this would make financial sense.

Anywhere else you go will also require the correct visas for you to work.

Is there any work you could do with your existing employer?

I don't think any of us is going to tell you what you should do.

We have given you options, information and warnings relating to visas but it is up to you to decide what you should do.

Maybe talk to other teachers at your school, maybe some of them have a suggestion based on past experiences but again it is still up to you to decide.

If you tighten your belt and live frugally can you manage to get through the holidays without working? This would be my choice, relax, enjoy my surroundings, maybe travel to some local tourist spots or places you want to see. Enjoy New Year with your colleges and friends maybe.

The choice is yours.You need to make the decision.

Shelly is correct, no one can tell you what to do. People can only give you their experience and hearsay. Most people I know in China are working illegally any have been for many years.  (Some ten years working full time)  Take what you will from that. You could be one of the unlucky ones and get caught or you can get away with it. The probability is in your favor as to NOT getting caught but it's your call.