Chinese-Forums

Erase personal profile and all posts.

I will be brave and make an attempt to help you.I do not 

know if it will only confuse you, so please ignore it if 

it is not correct on the point you raised.

I have consulted my Grammer source and the only area that raises the point  is in Verb Phrases as follows:

1. Without looking at the shi...de construction, the 的 at the end of the sentence  may be used as a part of the Verb Phrase (VP) with an absolute adjective which 

contains a copula sentence 是 .  Those absolute adjectives cannot occur as the sole element of a VP may be nominalized with the particle de to occur in the VP of a copula sentence.

This is part of Intransitive Verb Phrases. I will quote 

my grammer source: Mandarin Chinese: A Functional Reference Grammer by Charles Li and Sandra Thompson (1981)

UC, Berkerley Press. Chapter 4 pages 141-146

blob.thumb.png.a4968ba3d2feee50b29e57316573a578.png

This is the closest part I was able to find. 

2. Where the de is part of the shi...de constrcution Part 20.3 of Chapter 20 applies. It confirms that the shi may

be omitted and still retain the shi...de construction.

I do hope that this can help you reach the correct

conclusion to your question.

If I have strayed from the point, please someone with 

better grammer skills help.  

blob.png

@gwr71, if you were wondering about the odd spacing: this is full-space typing. On the language bar, you can see a small full moon/half moon shape for full shape/half shape. Change this back to 'half shape' when typing English and your spacing will be normal again. This is changed with shift+space, so sometimes it happens accidentally. I hope this is useful.

• Like 2

I'll be honest, the formatting in the post above hurts my eyes so I didn't read it.

I'm not going to give you a technical grammatical explanation, but something a little more intuitive.

学校的宿舍一层楼

学校的宿舍)()有合用厕所

(我们)()常在一起

For each of these cases, the 是 。。。的 construction wraps around an adjective to provide more information about the subject - in each case the bit in brackets at the start.

So, imagine the following dialogue (with a use of 的 I hope you are comfortable with):

A: 哪个车是你的?

B: 红色的。

Now, let's imagine a slightly different dialogue, but using your sentences:

A: 你们学校宿舍怎么样?

B: 我们学校宿舍是一层楼的。

I think your confusion is arising in: 我们常在一起的事/情况.  Here, the 的 changes from indicating an adjective (possessing a quality), to be being fully possessive.  Consider:

我的车是红色的

The first 的 shows the car belongs to me, while the second one indicates its colour.

Man, this post isn't clear at all, so sorry if it's made you even more confused.  Just to be clear:

我们常在一起的: We are (of the case) of having been together for a long time.

我们常在一起的事: The issue of us having been together for a long time.