Chinese-Forums

Work Visa Issues HELP

shikui

Hello, I am applying for a work visa for Xiamen China,

I am a British born Chinese and In the process currently. I need to hand in my police certificate and diploma however i lost my diploma a while back and I got a true copy notarized by UK apostille and authorized by Chinese embassy. I was told that this may not be okay because Chinese visas require an original diploma. im just wondering if anyone else have had this issue. 

Thank you

In a recent training session by the government we were told that copies will no longer be accepted and the original document needs to be authenticated. This was in Guangxi so I can't be sure about Xiamen, but I'd not put too much confidence in the ability to get it.

Additionally, all this is for your Foreigner's Work Permit which is required for your visa, but still something quite separate.

You could try contacting the Xiamen 外国专家局 (SAFEA) and ask them, they pretty much make the final decision.

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, ChTTay said:

Can’t you just get a replacement copy of your certificate? Surely that is the easiest way to resolve this..

New rule means that they want to see the original manuscript. Depends on the university but some will waterman DUPLICATE across it.  The won't even accept a letter from the University Records office to verify your qualifications

Its a stupid rule especially for those of us who did degrees more than 25 years ago. I have the same issue, I knew where my PhD copy was but getting it was a major problem so the company i worked for suggested that a notorized copy might suffice. In the end I had to fly back and get it

1 hour ago, anonymoose said:

Unless you submit the original (as opposed to a photocopy), I don't know how they are going to check anyway.

I know at least one person who graduated from the University of Photoshop.

Well there you have hit the nail on the head, they never actually check previous employers, universities etc
All my references were 100% legit but I know many have had major problems coming up with work references from previous employers as in the UK records are scrapped after 5 years, so even when they wanted to show that they legitimately worked for a Fortune 500 company previously (as required by Category A visa), they couldn't as it was more than 5 years ago. 

And your 2nd line, well.... that was actually suggested to me "as to a path some people have taken before ... but we don't recommend it" by the actually employees of the PRC 

I daresay those graduates got quite a good mark on their degree ;) 

Seems weird the University would give you a new print off your degree cert then watermark it “copy”. What use is that? Which county are you in?

I got some replacements and they are replacements. The exact same as my original. I ordered 2 just to be safe. 

• 1 month later...

Bowie State University, Bowie, Maryland does the same thing. I graduated grad school 15 years ago, and have no idea where my original diploma is at. I emailed the school and asked about a replacement. It will cost 55 dollars and say "Replacement" in big letters across the diploma itself. When I asked if it was possible to do it without that word on it, my reply was do you want a replacement or not? Morons! was my first thought, so decided to go with my undergrad diploma as my exhusband has it! The Chinese are making it harder and harder to work here! I understand why they are doing it, as this country has become a dumping ground for losers from around the world.I have seen a few of those come and go at my current job. Oh well, what can you do?