Chinese-Forums

Help with words used for rooms

Prithviraj Singh Bogati

• New Members
Prithviraj Singh Bogati

I am studying Chinese learning book called New Practical Chinese Reader Textbook and came across words about room. Different rooms have different words to describe them like bedroom has 卧室, study has 书房, living room has 客厅。I wanted to ask can I use  房 at back of all words to describe room like  卧房 and sound normal or does it sound a bit out of order while speaking. 

卧房 is acceptable for 'bedroom' (although I think the meaning is slightly different from a 卧室), but 客房 is not the same as 客厅. For now, I think it's best to just learn the words as they are presented to you. It would be nice if Chinese was 100% logical, but it isn't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Prithviraj Singh Bogati said:

I wanted to ask can I use  房 at back of all words to describe room like  卧房 and sound normal or does it sound a bit out of order while speaking. 

It would not sound normal. It would sound strange.

• Thanks 1

In Chinese, we generally think

The word 房 is larger than 厅, for example 房子, 房屋,

The word 厅 is larger than 室, for example 客厅, 饭厅,

The word 书房, 卧室 are all idiomatic usage.

I hope my answer will help you

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 2

Hi @DavyJonesLocker

In Chinese, the word 厅 can be used as a scene, such as 餐厅, 候车厅, to describe a larger space that can accommodate more people.
But the word 厅 has been seldom used, perhaps no longer popular, The more commonly used the word 店, such as 咖啡店, 酒店, 饭店, 小食店, etc.
And in terms of meaning, the word 店 reflects the use of the scene more than the word 厅 (店 is commercial)

For the word 咖啡馆儿 is a colloquial way of writing that is commonplace for northerners in China to talk, but the general way of writing is  咖啡馆, Without the word '儿'

The use of the word 馆 is similar to the word 店, Perhaps 馆 is more upscale, 店 is more popular

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1