Chinese-Forums

will you try to eat dog if possible ?

lilly

My english friends always ask me how can you chinese people eat dog? they are a man's best friends.

hehe, i dont know how to explain to them because i like dogs as well. but when you are in a Korean restaurant in China, it is only a special dish for you, you cant see the dog or see people kill them. and not all the people eat dogs normally in China, :roll: i think Korean eat dogs a lot.

the only thing i can think of is that maybe its like chicken, when people eat dogs, they dont really kill pets. there are dogs farms, like chicken farms. :wink:

once i went to a Korean restaurant with an English friend in China, i didnt tell him one dish was dog meat, then he tried. i asked him how was it, and he thought that it was delicious. then i turned evil and told him that it was dog meat. :nono he didnt act too surprised and was happythat he had tried it.hehe......

if it was you, would you try to eat dog? :lol:

Normally I wouldn't eat dog if I knew what it was (i have 3 dogs of my own that I love very much). Just don't tell me. ;) It's better than I don't know what it is... hehe, ignorance is bliss! :) Same thing with horse... though I find that to be a harder dish to find, even in asian countries.

Youshen

I can't imagine the environment where these livestock dogs are raised. All I can think of is the restaurant owner picking up some stray dogs off the street and cooking them.

Does anyone know anything about how the dogs are really raised? Dogs are not like pigs and they are not like sheep, so I'm curious about what a dog farm would look like.

Update:

http://www.koreananimals.org/dogs_p1.htm

This is a photoessay--From Dog Farm to Soup Bowl

And it would be difficult to guess at the chances, but there is definitely a chance that the dog meat did not come a dog farm. Or a pet owner might have sold the pet to the farm before it got to the restaurant.

I've often eaten dog, although I can't say it's my favourite meat. It has usualy been farmed although on one memorable occasion, my wife's grandfather invited the entire extended family to dinner then realised he had no money. So Rover went into the pot!

It was hilarious watching little cousins weeping and wailing at the demise of the family pet while shovelling bits of said pet into their faces. He was delicious!

As the old joke goes "I love dogs, but I don't think I could eat a whole one". You can eat cat and dog quite easily in the south, but you need enough people to order it, as it's generally killed and cooked to order.

I think Chinese prefer black dogs.

There are 2 main ways of cooking dog, roasting over an open fire, or stewing. One of my Malaysian Chinese friend's family had dog barbeque for Christmas dinner.

They eat a lot of cat in Guangdong too, although apparently all you can taste is ginger and herbs.

I'm yet to try cat or dog, but my dad's eaten it, and he says it's not really that good, so we never bother ordering it.

I agree with Youshen. I've probably eaten dog unknowingly on several occasions! I always tell my friends "If I like it, I don't want to know what it is." :mrgreen:

liuzhou's story reminds me of friend telling me a story of how her dad cooked her pet bunny and made her eat it. :twisted:

I love dogs - both to eat as a pet. Have had them as pets in the past and have eaten dog several times.

The dog question - no real difference to the Jews/Muslums not eating pork. I am sure that they don't really care if others eat pork, but will not partake in the meat themselves.

Just out of interest....I mentioned to many Chinese that I eat kangaroo/crocodile/emu etc and the reaction I got was amazing......same reaction if you asked a Chinese person if they would eat panda.

I think I would have a go. When I first met some mainland chinese people I was timid about some of the food they eat. Now I have tried most things.

I don't like all of them but nice to have a go. My only (food) regret about my Malaysian holiday was not trying the frog.

I would have to be barking mad to miss the chance to try dog.

I've tried dog noodles while living in Guizhou province, actually quite good. There were thin slices of meat and a nice thick soup and the coriander just set it off! Honestly, I thought I was eating a strong bowl of mutton noodles, goes down even better if the night is freshand you're sitting on the side of the road! If anyone happens to be in Guiyang one day and wants to know the best dog noodles around, just ask!

My only (food) regret about my Malaysian holiday was not trying the frog.

My wife cooks frog once in a while. Nothing special about it, it really does taste sort of like chicken. Too little meat and too much gristle, though. I've had soft-shell turtle (didn't like it), snake (great in soup) and of course lots of eel in Shanghai.

A local Chinatown market had armadillo for a while (no, I'm not in Texas). The sign in Chinese said "Tastes just like turtle."

I'm an ethical carnicore so I'll eat any animal, regardless of whether or not it performs amusing tricks (as long as it doesn't look/taste/feel too bad, a common problem here for me at least).

As far as dog I've had it 2 or 3 times but never really taken to it. To fatty and tough for my taste. Though I've been told there's a North Korean noodle place in town that does really good dog which is well worth trying. I may give it a go before I leave for home (in 4 days, yikes!).

Donkey, on the other hand, is the mother of all meats. I believe there's a saying in Chinese (I only know a rough English translation) "In heaven they eat dragon, on earth we eat donkey". I can only confirm this having had lu rou jiaozi. Fantastic. I urge everyone to check it out, as long as it's a half decent restaurant. Though it's hard to get pure lu rou as it's quite pricey.

I'm an ethical carnicore so I'll eat any animal, regardless of whether or not it performs amusing tricks (as long as it doesn't look/taste/feel too bad, a common problem here for me at least).

What about rats? :mrgreen: Some restaurants in Zhuhai, Guangdong serve rats to their customers.

Dog -- eaten a couple of times. Unlike Koreans who eat dog meat more oftern and in more different styles (Koreans even slice raw dog meat and cook them half-cooked in hot pot), Cantonese only eat in dog meat in winter in certain way.

The best way is to squat on stool or stand with a group of guys and surround the hot stewed dog pot, drink baiju in big bowls (never in cup or glass), and dine in some dilipidated eateries (never in fancy restaurant),.....under 5-degree Celsius weather. Suddenly you would think that you were Liu Bang who ate with his retainers. Hmmm....and after a full meal of dog meat, Cantonese believe that your libido will be revived.

Crocodile -- Cantonese believe that crocodile meat is the best medicine/food to cure asthma. If you go travel in SE Asian countries, there are many sourvenir shops which cater to Chinese that sell crocodile meat. Since crocodile is on the UN Protective Species list, the shop clerk would pack carefully for you to avoid detection when you pass Customs. But the meat is not cheap.

Frog -- Cantonese consider it as a delicacy and the meat is more tender and delicious than chicken. Many mothers use frog to cook rice for their toddlers. But frog meat must be fully cooked since there are a lot of bacteria. I have killed frog by holding its limbs and chopped off its head. But afterwards when I used salt to rub the frog body after I peeled off its skin, the limbs were still moving!

Ostrich -- HK restaurants have imported frozen ostrich meat from South Africa. It tastes more or less like beef.

Horse -- In Japan, there are some sushi shops which specialize in serving raw horse meat.

Strictly speaking, all the above items are not listed under the "Exotic Species" category since they have been generally accepted as an edible item and even farm-raised in the respective societies.