Chinese-Forums

will you try to eat dog if possible ?

lilly

I've eaten dogs, and I really think it was delicious

I am Chinese, and you can easily find a Korean restaurant in China.

Somebody thinks you can sit the doy sitting in your plate. That is wrong, you can only see flesh in your plate, and if no body tell you what it is you can hardly know it.

In Korean restaurant, the dogs are seperated to make diffferent dishes. For example, some dish contains only skins of dogs, some dish contains only feet of dogs.....

I like eating dogs really, but I also like dogs as pets.

you can easily find a Korean restaurant in China

You don't need to go to a Korean Restaurant to eat dog in China. There are plenty Chinese dog restaurants.

Somebody thinks you can sit the doy sitting in your plate. That is wrong, you can only see flesh in your plate, and if no body tell you what it is you can hardly know it.

The caged dogs in the corner of the restaurant might give you a clue!

• 10 months later...

Dear Friends:

I do understand the paradigm distintion between other cultures and I respect that. But to be truthful to all of you who have eaten dog or cat, I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it because I've had dogs and cats all of my life. I have seen their personality and the way they interact with me, themselves, the cats and my family.

When I look at them I could see that they have an understanding that parallel those of people. They have feelings, they know when they are being scolded. They try so hard to make you happy. And they are the most faithful being in the world. They love unconditionally and never hold grudges.

When I seen what the Asian people of Korea, Philippines, Vietnam and China have done to the companion animals and see the suffering and cowering these sentient beings have to endure during the slaugther. I can see the fear in their eyes, I can see them pleading to their captures to save them. I cried myself to sleep so many times. I have seen the atrocities that goes on when they are being skinned alive, when they are crammed in wire baskets and when they are being hung to death.

I beg the Asian people who eat dogs and cats to have a heart and stop this heinous acts against the wonderful animals you have. Listen to those who are against eating dogs and cats and help them to be happy and wanted by those who love companion animals...

Why did you revive this old topic.

Anyway, do you eat pork or beef? Do you know how pigs and cows are ill treated? Do you eat chicken? Do you now that their beaks are cut off causing them extreme pain? Have you seen a pig squealing and struggling right before its taken away to be slaughtered? They have feelings too. In fact, a pig is as domesticated as a dog and even more intelligent than a dog. So why are you eating pork?

Stop imposing your cultural values on others. You have no moral authority to tell others what to eat and what not to eat unless you are a vegetarian, which in that case, you can be ignored.

The topic is revived because a new comer feels that it's time he takes move to change the world. Interesting mission.

I was told by chicken hawkers that chicken seem to know they're going to be killed when you put them in a cage in the wet market. They resist to eat and drink, yell crazily when they see others being killed, struggling deadly to fly away.

It's basically inhumane to eat any animal. Not a single way to kill them could be called "humane". Not a single chance they would feel happy and not show up fear in their eyes when they're killed. Killing them least inhumane is the best that carnivores can do.

yeah, that's human. As Confucius said, 君子远疱厨, I always keep myself away from butcher . Although I don't have a privilege as Sivargas to absorb Harry potter's skills to talk to snakes, pigs, chicken and dogs and cats and see how they plead us not to kill them, I'm pleased not to kill them by my own hands. I let them go to others' hands. :)

My wife tells me that in China, her experience has been that dogs are thought of and treated less like people and more like farm animals. She's actually rather afraid of dogs since every one she's seen has been a chained guard dog of some sort that barked and growled at basically everyone in sight. Every time she sees someone walking down the street with a dog in the US she basically expects it to attack her rather than want to play with her or something. So I think that in China and probably other countries dogs really are looked at more like a farm animal than a member of the family or something, though I'm sure it varies by area since China is such a big place. I know other Chinese people who disapprove of eating dog meat.

Supposedly pigs make pretty good pets and people have even tried to keep them as pets in cities in the US, but they end up running afoul of city ordinances against keeping livestock within the city limits. Certainly if we treated pigs more like we treat dogs then people would start feeling the same way toward pork.

I tried some once but didn't like it much. Then again I don't really like any meat. I'm practically a vegetarian simply due to not liking meat. Dog meat seems particularly bloody though.

I once asked a Thai monk whether people in Thailand eat dog. (Theravada monks are actually allowed to eat most kinds of meat if they don't suspect the animal was killed specifically to feed monks.) He basically said that in Thailand "the kind of people who drink hard liquor" eat dog. (Drinking an intoxicating amount of alcohol, e.g. not a single drink with dinner, is considered against one of the 5 basic precepts for laypeople in Buddhism, so assumably drinking hard liquor would be associated with people who aren't very "pious.")

Even though Thai monks can usually eat meat, they are specifically disallowed from eating dog meat:

"The following types of meat are unallowable: that of human beings, elephants, horses, dogs, snakes, lions, tigers, leopards, bears, and hyenas. Human beings, horses, and elephants were regarded as too noble to be used as food. The other types of meat were forbidden either on grounds that they were repulsive ("People criticized and complained and spread it about, 'How can these Sakyan-son monks eat dog meat? Dogs are loathsome, disgusting'") or dangerous (bhikkhus, smelling of lion's flesh, went into the jungle; the lions there, instead of criticizing or complaining, attacked them)."

Interesting how the justification is that "Dogs are loathsome, disgusting" not that dogs are friendly. (Note that this comes from ancient "India" meaning South Asia, not modern Asia in general.)

And never accuse lions of criticizing.... "attack first, criticize later" is their motto.

Also interesting: "The prohibition against dog flesh does not include wild dogs, such as wolves and foxes" though apparently this is disputed. I suspect they don't usually get offered wild dog meat though. Apparently half-dog-half-wolf is disallowed.

Source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc1/bmc1.ch08-4.html

My wife tells me that in China, her experience has been that dogs are thought of and treated less like people and more like farm animals.

I think this is more true in the rural areas. At least here in BJ, from what I've observed most owners treat their dogs almost like their kids. Although I have also heard a few stories of dogs being mistreated.

Just this weekend I was out shopping and as I was leaving I noticed that one of the escalators had been stopped and a crowd had gathered at the top. As I got closer for a better look, I saw that a poor little dog had gotten "caught" in the escalator. I couldn't tell from my angle how he'd gotten caught, but I'm guessing it was probably a paw. There were workers there who looked like they were trying to take apart the escalator to free it. The dog's owner, a young girl, was very upset. The dog was actually very calm and not struggling nor showing any signs of discomfort. I hope he gets through it ok, but I honestly cannot imagine how his injuries would only be minor.

As for eating dog meat, I'll admit that when cooked right it is quite good. My real apprehension with it has nothing to do with the fact that it's dog, but rather about not knowing where it came from/was raised. But I suppose this concern shouldn't just be limited to dog meat.

Zozzen!!!! First of all before you start dissing people you should learn how to write the English language. You attack me for no reason at all. I bet you any money, if every western culture started eating PANDA's your national animal, you'd be petitioning too about how people shouldn't eat PANDAs.

Your missing the big picture, Good for you, you eat dog and cat, but one day you'd be sitting in a hospital with either rabies or any other zoonotic diseases wishing you hadn't ate a dog or cat.

Everything with you is culture. You repeat what you've heard all your life about dog is good, cat tonic is healthy. It make penis hard and cool in Summer. You people are sheepeoples. (Followers) your to afraid to be an individual and take a stand in something you believe it. You attach me, because you think I am discriminating your culture. I am aware that not all Chinese eat dogs it is only those that do. Even in your country their are lots of people who are fighting to end the dog and cat meat trade. Your really pathetic!!! We are not the only people in the world who thinks dogs and cats are not to be eaten, even in your country people fight to protect them. Dumb Ass.... You follow everything people tell you... Do the research and you'll see that consuming dogs and cats aren't as healthy and as cultural as you may think it is.

Your Gross Zozzen

Eh, the first was a serious question. "gato" means "cat" in Spanish. The second was probably me prodding, inspired by the fact that nobody had answered my first question.

I've deleted references to SARS since it sounds like a sensitive subject, but I'm unable to delete your quoting of my deleted references....

I am sorry you got offended!!! I know how difficult it must be to defend something you know is disgusting....

Wait, what? When did I get offended? Am I being confused with someone else here?

Everyone: Please say whatever it is you mean directly. I can't decipher unclear comments.

To me this whole thing is largely an academic discussion. I'm just trying to provide some cultural context information, and yea I made some comments about possible ill effects of eating certain wild animals with the implication that someone who knows more than I should help fill in some details.

I don't see any chance that anyone is going to institute some huge social change in this thread or forum so it's probably best to treat all of this as an opportunity to educate yourself on cultural attitudes and practical health issues and such.