Chinese-Forums

will you try to eat dog if possible ?

lilly

I've had it 2x so far, both this week. The first one was "plain" it tasted exactly like USA cow beef to me (not even remotely like chicken unless that was the old "tastes like chicken" joke). The "cow" beef here tastes different than in the US, the animals here are more like buffalo I guess than "cows". Yesterday I had Hunan style. Spicy and delicious, I really enjoyed it.

I believe that the taste of human meats would be more than the meat itself. There's basically two scenarios for eating this, famine or psychopathy. In either cases, eating fresh meats should make the feeling of "excitement". Possibly that's why it tastes "sweet".

As far as I remember , the most recent "human meats" case in China is in Shanxi province when the big famine happened in 1950s. That's obviously nothing to make funny about.

The "cow" beef here tastes different than in the US, the animals here are more like buffalo I guess than "cows". Yesterday I had Hunan style. Spicy and delicious, I really enjoyed it.

I'm sure this is no longer the case in modern times, but I think that traditionally "beef" in China has been like, the ox you use to plow your field dies for some reason and not wanting to let it go to waste you decide to cook the meat. For the most part in Chinese history I don't think there have been huge ox/cattle ranches with Chinese cowboys riding around going "yeehaw!" and eating steak every night.

At one point in old Chinese history beef was even made illegal because the emperor wanted to discourage people from killing their oxen and making agriculture less efficient in the long term. (I think this was the Song or maybe Tang Dynasty. Not sure if this was in response to a beef-eating fad or what though.)

I wonder how human meat tastes.

Someone told me or I read somewhere once that it was more similar to pork than anything else. Not sure who exactly was the one who determined that. After hearing this I've had even less of a desire to eat pork than I had before.

As far as I remember , the most recent "human meats" case in China is in Shanxi province when the big famine happened in 1950s.

A more recent case is that in Guangxi in the late 1960s, detailed in a book by Zheng Yi.

See this article.

• 2 weeks later...

I would never eat dog. I'm not much of a meat-eater to begin with, and then I pretty much only eat beef or chicken. But as I sit here typing this, my dog is sitting in my lap, and I know that I could never eat a dog - although when my doggy is bad I will threaten to cook him for supper :P I can't help it, he looks like a hot dog! lol But most of my Chinese friends say that they view dogs as pets and won't eat them either.

Caidani:

I hear you loud and clear. I kind of offended a few people when it comes to discussing eating dog and cats. It justs makes me livid.. I too have a dog his name is Kilu he's a boxer mix with pitbull and is the sweetest thing in the world. I also have 4 cats and they all get along wonderfully. They play with each other and sleep with each other all the time. He's very obedient and cute.

Thanks for your response...:wink:

Ms. Sivargas