Chinese-Forums

Where to watch Chinese dubs of American movies from outside China?

mlescano

Hi! By now I've already discovered that YouTube is a very good source of Chinese TV series.

But, to be honest, I still find American movies far more interesting. Netflix does have a few Chinese dubs if you switch the account language, but they're not many. Mostly it's just Shrek and a few Netflix originals.

In the past, the Chinese iTunes movie store allowed me to buy pretty much anything I wanted in dubbed version, even The Empire Strikes Back, but it's been shut down and I didn't keep the files before that happened.

Chinese video websites do offer "premium" access where you can pay to watch, for example, a Chinese dub of The Force Awakens, but I can't make the payment work after trying different ways.

So, how do you guys outside of China find your fix of Chinese dubs? I was able to trick Amazon China into selling me Kindle books, so there must be a way to do the same with movies somewhere else. Of course, the return of the iTunes movie store would be amazing, but I'm not counting on it.

OK, I'll be more specific: I'm looking for Star Wars dubs. And Frozen, too.

Since you only want a few movies, why not buy the discs?  Searching ebay for movie name mandarin seems to turn up what you want; I guess just be careful of country of origin if Taiwanese Mandarin would be a problem.

I would suggest you keep trying Chinese/HK movies and TV with a Mandarin soundtrack.  You may discover directors/actors you like and they will show aspects of the culture which won't be present in dubbed American movies.

• Like 1

I have Frozen somewhere. I bought it in China in a really big bookstore. Might have given it away.

Other notable sets I have are the Yip Man series, Harry Potter  and Infernal Affairs blurays.

Now that you mention it, perhaps I should try to look for the Stars Wars set next time I go to China or a DVD store in HK. The choice in HK is not so large. Quite interesting to know Empire strikes Back was dubbed in Chinese. I will go have a look for a Chinese dubbed version.

• Like 1

i also watch tons of western movies dubbed into my L2.

yesasia and ebay are both no good for any of the movies I'm looking for. if you just search for region 6 movies with mandarin dubs, you'll find some stuff, but if you're want something specific it's probably not there.

sad to say but your best bet is to go to china and look at bookstores that sell DVDs. 

i'll often spend a whole day going to lots of places looking at everything they have and come away with 5-10 good movies per store. 

using taobao in china would probably work too...but you have to be careful because sometimes the movies only give you english sound with chinese subs. it can be hard to tell from the taobao listing :/

• Like 1

I happened by a HK store last night. It had the six Star Wars films but the owner said only three of the films had Chinese. I looked through some other western movies - other additional dubbed languages were French Spanish Thai Russian but not much choice for Mandarin. 

I ended up buying a couple of old Stephen Chow movies. An italki teacher suggested that I rewatch those in Mandarin instead of Cantonese as the newer Chinese films are less entertaining. Not sure if the subtitles are still available as an srt. If they were, I could have a go at creating an Anki deck. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

You might want to check this thread: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55757-what-sites-can-i-use-for-watching-chinese-dubbed-disney-movies-for-example/

On 12/21/2017 at 3:24 AM, snowflake said:

Not quite what you're looking for though this page (http://www.perapera.org/big-list-chinese-language-audiobooks/) mentions a Star Wars audio book and transcript.

He's looking for American movies dubbed in Chinese.