Chinese-Forums

Decoding a sentence

stapler

Wondering if I could get some help working out what’s going on grammatically with the following sentence:

是啊,所以,我觉得传统的门当户对观念,不仅只是肤浅的指双方家庭物质环境的匹配,更有因为物质环境而影响的思维方式和价值观念。

What’s going on with the second part? The 更有因為 seems to be just hanging there. How does it connect grammatically to the first part, which is describing the 觀念? It reads like “this idea isn’t just this, even more so it has this” 不僅只是。。。更有因為” - sounds weird. 

And what’s going on with the 影響? Shouldn’t it be something like “因為物質環境會影響你的思維方式“. And even then I still don’t see how it connects to the first part. I can’t work out the grammatical logic at work in the original. 

All help appreciated. 

2 hours ago, stapler said:

It reads like “this idea isn’t just this, even more so it has this

I think you're there or thereabouts with this, as to me the 影响 is part of an adjectival phrase. So to give it all a rough gloss, it's along the lines of "Not just a merely superficial notion of two families being suitably matched in material terms but still more a whole way of thinking and set of values influenced by material circumstances". i.e. fitting your first sense of it as it's saying not just a simple concept but something more and deeper. Not much grammar explication in in that I'm afraid!

• Helpful 1

6 hours ago, stapler said:

是啊,所以,我觉得传统的门当户对观念,不仅只是肤浅的指双方家庭物质环境的匹配,更有因为物质环境而影响的思维方式和价值观念。

不僅X,更Y

Not just X, but also Y

[因為A而B]的C

C that’s B ‘cause of A = but here it’s just functioning like “C that’s B by A”

But on my first read I understood it differently:

不仅只是肤浅的指双方家庭物质环境的匹配,更有(指)因为物质环境而影响的思维方式和价值观念(的匹配)

• Helpful 2

Got it. Thanks. The 而 was really tripping me up. It didn’t occur to me that it was functioning like 被. Now I realise you can write like this eg “營養不良而引起的疾病”

And going by 陳德聰‘s advice, maybe a better way to write the second sentence would be “更指物質環境而影星的價值觀的匹配” (need to take out 因為 to include the 匹配,  but I think doing this conveys the meaning more clearly)

To me the emphasis of the second sentence is that it’s not just about things, but the values you have that are influenced by the things.

更有物質環境影響的思維方式和價值觀念 would work if you don’t want 因為.

Keep in mind that 而 in that type of construction is part of 因X而Y though so your rewrite without 因為 doesn’t really make sense. Can’t do “noun而blahblahblahblah” as far as I know.

• Like 2