Chinese-Forums

Please tell me what is written on this induction cooker

avigo

Hi all,

Got this induction cooker from china as a gift with no manual attached. tried to use google translate on one of the buttons which said "people cooking" so I figured out I probably need a human help :)

I've numbered the buttons, here is the picture:

lbl.thumb.jpeg.2ce2210bdd398f2e09e01b40ebb2a59e.jpeg

Can you please tell me what each button do? Thanks !

By the numbers:

1. 炒菜 - stir fry

2. 煎炸 - shallow fry ETA actually this might include deep frying i.e. food dipped into more oil (I'm not much of a cook, someone will be along to correct me)

3. 火锅 - hotpot

4. 爆炒 - fry on a high heat ETA Just realised this button also has the characters 武火 in a stylised fashion, like the 文火 in the next button. It means a fierce flame/high heat.

5. 文火炖 - stew (low heat)

6. 烧水 - boil water

7. 蒸煮 -steam

8. 煲汤 - simmering for making soup

9. There is no number 9!

10. 暂停 - pause

11. 定时预约 - preset timer

12. 保温 - keep warm

• Like 2

Is "induction cooker" the same as a 电磁炉 (which looks like a modern, glass-top hot plate?) Then you set the metal pot or skillet on it to cook, right?  Looks more or less like this?

5a3da39a28cce_inductioncooker.JPG.baf39616169314cd3ac9f645fe424300.JPG

2. 煎炸 - shallow fry ETA actually this might include deep frying i.e. food dipped into more oil (I'm not much of a cook, someone will be along to correct me)

@Jim -- I think you are right. The makers have combined two functions (煎 and 炸) for one heat-selection button here, just as they did for #7, when 蒸煮 was used to mean either steam or boil. 

煎 is to sauté, that is, cook with a small amount of oil over medium-high heat. Often done in a non-stick, flat-bottom pan 不粘平底锅。Examples would be 煎饼 and 煎饺子 (pan-fried thin bread and pan-fried dumplings.)

油炸 is the term more often used for deep frying when a recipe is trying to be very specific, though here it is shortened to 炸。Examples would be deep-fried chicken wings or French-fried potatoes. 

• Like 1