Chinese-Forums

Can I achieve hsk 6 in one year?

Alnosr

Hi,

I'm currently at hsk 4, and wondering if I can be at hsk 6 within a year (not going to pass the exam but at achieve that level). I study up to -4-5 hours a day, not going into my detailed routine but I do work on every skills. Except speaking (which I'll be working on later). (edit : well I do about 2 hours of shadowing a day but it's not actually speaking to me) I learn about 20 new words a day in context (I also learn the sentences paired with these words). So 20* 150 (5 months) =4000 words right? (I already know more than 1000)After these five months I plan to go to China or tw during the summer to learn the language. I know 3 months isn't a lot but I highly relie on that to make my knowledge of mandarin much stronger. Hsk 6 is 5000 words, then 1000 in 3 months shouldn't be a big deal.

What do you think guys? Can I achieve that goal or does it seems too much/unrealistic to you?

I want to achieve that in order to attend a degree (in Chinese, otherwise it has no interest to me) in China or tw next year.

After you know the words you've got to factor in your reading speed, recognition of so many new words at the speed required in test conditions requires exposure and familiarity which you may find difficult in just one year. Took me two years from your position. But go for it anyway, I'm pretty bad at test taking to be fair.

• Like 1

I think the problem is not so much if you can reach HSK 6 level in one year, which might be doable, but rather if after reaching it you would be prepared to attend a degree in Chinese. 

Edit to add a link to a previous thread that discussed this topic: Pursuing masters degree in China

• Helpful 1

22 hours ago, abcdefg said:

Why not go ahead and take the HSK if you are preparing for it? Of course I'm sure you realize it tests more than just how many words you know. 

I'm not actually preparing for the HSK. Because I don't know whethever I want to go to china or tw yet.

20 hours ago, Tomsima said:

After you know the words you've got to factor in your reading speed, recognition of so many new words at the speed required in test conditions requires exposure and familiarity which you may find difficult in just one year. Took me two years from your position. But go for it anyway, I'm pretty bad at test taking to be fair.

Of course I know that. Otherwise I would be spending my time only on learning vocabulary. Which I'm not.

15 hours ago, Geiko said:

I think the problem is not so much if you can reach HSK 6 level in one year, which might be doable, but rather if after reaching it you would be prepared to attend a degree in Chinese. 

Edit to add a link to a previous thread that discussed this topic: Pursuing masters degree in China

Yes... To  me HSK 6 is B2, my english level is at B2 and i'm pretty sure i could attend a degree taught in english. Silly comparaison but maybe with some extra work...

Thank you some much for this link I gathered so much information.

On 12/25/2017 at 3:41 AM, Alnosr said:

What do you think guys? Can I achieve that goal or does it seems too much/unrealistic to you?

It will be difficult, but it's possible if you work hard and you are able to maintain 4-5 hours a day of study *every* *day* for that year.  You don't mention how much time you spend on reading (only that you are learning sentences).   To pass HSK 6 you need to get good (and fast) at reading long passages of text so make sure 'reading long passages of text' is one of the skills you're practicing - even if you're not taking the test.  If you want to do a degree in Chinese, you'll need good reading skills (and as others have mentioned, reading involves more than just knowing the words and grammar).

• Helpful 1

• 11 months later...

Yo, OP, it has been a year. Did you make it across to the other side?

I am about to embark on this journey myself, for next year. HSK 6 is not part of any academic requirement, but as Mallory said.

Reporter: Why did you want to climb Mt. Everest?
George Leigh Mallory: Because it is there.

7 minutes ago, lakesandrivers said:

Yo, OP, it has been a year. Did you make it across to the other side?

Not really... Mainly because I haven't studied much actually haha.

But I did do what was planned (doing my bachelor in Taiwan) and I'm now between hsk 5 -6.  I understand classes everything good.

But if I have studied like a I said 4hours per day since from start I certainly would be hsk6+ right now.

Yes you can. As @imron said, if you consistently study 4-5 hours every day, and you're at HSK 4 level at this time. I bet you can take the test after 10 months or maybe earlier. I have a japanese friend who barely 'pass' the HSK 6 at around 9 months of studying Chinese. At around 8 month, he sit for HSK 5. 1 month after the HSK 5, he then sit for HSK 6. He told me he need just 1 or 10 marks to pass the HSK 6, which I bet he pass the HSK 6 for the second time before leaving China. Well, Japanese people have a big advantage when learning 'hanzi' since they know pretty much a lot of the characters. Not to mention he spent at least 8 hours studying Chinese everyday. However, I found out that his speaking and listening ability is a little bit behind.

Oh, I did meet such a fellow student; a Japanese who passed HSK 5 but has difficulty speaking and listening in Mandarin. Another Japanese student, on the other hand, is a master in Chinese both verbal and written. In fact she has thrown down the gauntlet on HSK 6 and will write it this Sunday. She is another Mallory, in that they need only HSK 5 to graduate the medical course.

Will do. My plan for next year is to immerse and proverbially drink as deeply as I can (after all, I am in China!) while digesting the unfamiliar ~3,000 (out of 5,000) word list.