Chinese-Forums

The 2018 Aims and Objectives Progress Topic

Meng Lelan

On 1/3/2018 at 8:49 PM, happy_hyaena said:

I'm much more clear on what I intend to do in the next 3-6 months.

Consider dividing your goals by completion dates then.

Like:

Next Three Months:

do this

that

and some of this other thing

Next Six Months:

Keep doing this but more intensely

start this new thing

finish that other thing

Next nine months....

The best goals will be quantifiable and measurable with clear deadlines. Hit all three and then it's much easier to set smaller milestones. I.e. not just "hsk 6 by december" but also "HSK Vocabulary for the first three months, listening for the next three, reading for the next three and writing for the last three." You can break that done even further into monthly/weekly/daily goals. However, I caution being to specific at the smaller scale to allow for some "life" to happen. This is also helpful in recognizing when your goals are unrealistic and merit adjusting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

Consider dividing your goals by completion dates then.

The best goals will be quantifiable and measurable with clear deadlines. Hit all three and then it's much easier to set smaller milestones. I.e. not just "hsk 6 by december" but also "HSK Vocabulary for the first three months, listening for the next three, reading for the next three and writing for the last three." You can break that done even further into monthly/weekly/daily goals. However, I caution being to specific at the smaller scale to allow for some "life" to happen. This is also helpful in recognizing when your goals are unrealistic and merit adjusting.

No, you're right and I totally agree with you. Measurable long-term goals that can be divided down to a week or are very important. I just feel like it's difficult to have any sort of idea of what kind of progress you will have made over a whole year. The further into the future you plan, the more you start get into "butterfly effects", as small things you do everyday (or don't do) can have enormous consequences. To give an example, what if attending that language cafe once or twice every week actually does more than just "maintain" my speech, but actually significantly helps me with my listening as well, causing me to have to revise my goals in 9 months time? Anyway, it was just an unnecessary off-hand comment from me.

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, Tomsima said:

I'll probably just keep going to be honest, such a great habit

Habits beat motivation every time.

8 hours ago, Tomsima said:

I have only missed one day so far this year, and it was after going travelling with friends in Xi'an and collapsing from tiredness and sleeping through to the next morning accidentally

And life always finds a way to interrupt (hence the importance of habits).

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 2:29 PM, BearXiong said:

2) Finish going through a 3000 character recognition Anki deck. I started doing this 6 months ago, and have currently gone through the first 1570 characters. Right now I'm going at a pace of 5 characters per day but might have to drop it to 3 or 4 per day when the characters get rarer.

Today, I'm very happy to say that I finally got to 3000 characters in my Anki deck ?! It only took me 1 year and 4 months to do it. Most of this was at a pace of roughly 5 characters per day, but I did 10 per day in the beginning as they were characters I was familiar with. There's still a long way to go and many common characters to learn but I think I'll use the remaining two months this year to consolidate these characters and improve my reading speed.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 12/26/2017 at 5:18 PM, Flickserve said:

A) listening skills -

review sentences in topics like glossika style. (worked OK but sometimes boring). Analyse interviews going through them with a tutor.(didn't do much of this) 

Do active listening by putting sentences into an mp3 player and then using the shuffle function. (found out shuffle function not really needed) 

Working with a tutor totally dropped off.

Didnt listen to sentences at all.

In my circle of contacts the last half year, there were a couple of native mandarin speakers so I got bits of practice actively listening and speaking to them.

Speaking skills. Didn’t get moving until 3Q. End of year took out a 12months subscription to Glossika. Apart from the recent cold that I had, that seems to be quite satisfactory. 

Didn’t go through NCPR at all and donated three volumes to charity book sale. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...