Chinese-Forums

Guangzhou violin search

cewin

I post here in the hope someone will read it that could lead me to someone who plays the violin, or knows about violins and would be willing to help me. 

I'll be in Guangzhou middle of March 2018 in the search for a better violin, but given there is limited time, the unlikelihood to try violins at my hostel, not to mention communication difficulties, I wish there was someone who could listen and advise to which violin would suit me best.  I'm looking for an advanced-professional violin, and have already addresses of a number of workshops I wish to visit.  Anyone out there?  I'll stay in the Liwan area, I'm a young 68 years old backpacker woman, living in New Zealand, but German born, and have just taken up the violin again after many years of rest.  I have travelled in China twice before, so feel quite confident finding my way around (thanks to my phone apps).

Thank you for reading this and I so look forward to a contact!

Hi cewin,

Do you know any musicians or music educators in the Guangzhou area? Do you speak Chinese well? If not, I would counsel against looking for a professional musical instrument in China. You are better off bringing an instrument with you from New Zealand (or wherever you are presently).

If you must buy an instrument in China, there are three main problems to be aware of:

• The first problem is that the musical instrument selection in many retail shops in China is sub-par. If you are looking for a professional musical instrument, that won’t do.
  • The second problem is that some music instrument retailers are dishonest and disreputable, and you are at a disadvantage if you don’t speak the language well. I know several people personally (both Chinese and foreigners) who purchased professional musical instruments in China, only to find out later that they were damaged, or performed far below the usual standard for those instruments. Often, a Chinese music retailer will not have large numbers of professional Western musical instruments in stock. They can order one for you, but you will have to pay the entire cost of the instrument upfront before you try it, which is madness. Of course, there are also many honest and reputable music merchants in China. But…
  • The third problem is that professional music instruments in China are generally more expensive than what you would pay in the West. For this reason, many professional Chinese musicians buy their instruments abroad, or in Hong Kong, and either ship or personally carry them back into China.

If you still want to buy an instrument in China, abcdefg’s suggestion to post on an expat website is a good one. Alternatively, go to a place where ex-pats congregate and ask around.

Also, there is a large music conservatory in Guangzhou called the Xinghai Music Conservatory (星海音乐学院). The conservatory has a large string department, and you may find a sympathetic student or teacher to help you. Xinghai has many foreign music teachers, too. There may be some in the string department. The conservatory is a 30-minute drive from the Liwan area. If you go, bring someone with you that knows the area and can translate/intercede for you, for the reasons I outlined above.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

Thanks for the tips and warnings and your thorough reply, murrayjames!. 

Guangzhou has a number of reputable violin workshops, that have won medals overseas and thus have a good name, with staff that speak English.  I have addresses of about 5, and didn't intend to go into music shops/retailers, but buy directly from the makers.  I'm quite aware of some of the pitfalls, but from my many years of playing I think I can discern a good violin, although I'd prefer some back up (thus the post).  And no, I don't know anyone in Guangzhou, and no, I don't speak any Chinese worth mentioning, but it's my third visit to China and we managed to get through quite remote areas with the help of phone apps etc. language has never been a (big) hindrance.  We found people nice and always helpful.

As to prices,  yes, you are right, for example Scott Cao violins appear to be more expensive bought from the Guangzhou workshop than they are in America, but then on the other hand, the 'Consortium' sells their master violins between 1000-2000 US dollars, while they are on sale for 9000-15000 in the US, probably not as well known yet as Scott Cao or Ming Jiang Zhu.  Latter, too, is about 1/4-1/3 cheaper than in the States, and I know, they are great.  Unfortunately, for me to go to the States is much more expensive, so now I have at least a chance to try them.  Lu Qing, a Beijing luthier, will send 3 violins to my guesthouse to try, with no obligation to buy.  I'm really looking forward to the experience!

I have tried to get a violin in small NZ, but the choice is very limited, with a total population less than half the size of Guangzhou!  I'd have to pay a lot more here...I tried!

And barely any Chinese violins to compete with European ones, that with similar quality are about 3 times the price.  Thus my trip, with a very cheap Airfare - a holiday as well, and I can't loose much I believe. 

I'll follow up with the Expat idea and the Music Conservatory sounds great, so many thanks again, guys!

• Like 1