Chinese-Forums

BLCU starters meeting

puja

Hi,

scince we're getting more and more BLCU attendees for this fall many of us are willing to meet up to get to know each other. I would suggest we should set some general meeting for those studying at BLCU this fall when everyone has arrived.

Anyone who wants to join please join this thread and tell us when you're gonna be in Beijing and if you have a preference of place to meet (perhaps some restaurant you know)

Also don't miss to join the introduction thread

Cheers,

Puja

p.s. I'm gonna arrive in Beijing on August 20th so I'm probably one of the first.

I arrive on the 26th of August. Never been to Beijing before (well, once when I was 10 but that doesn't count) so no suggestions here. I agree that somewhere in Haidian makes the most sense, or even on the BLCU campus.

Cat

I've been to Beijing last November and we went to some nice avarge restaurant in Haidan near WuDaoKo Station, but perhaps we can find something better. Scince the one-year-students wll arrive (and start) earlier we can find some place together before we set the general meeting.

Cheers,

Puja

Are you looking for a dinner meet, or a coffee meet? I'm not too knowledgable on Wudaokou dining as I tend not to eat there, but there are plenty of cafes. Sculpting in Time might be my first choice as there's plenty of seating, and it's generally pretty lively. Decent coffees and teas, including proper mugs of coffee which have helped me reach many a deadline, and big jugs of iced teas. Food menu is pretty much generic 'western' food though - passable pizzas, average pasta, sandwiches blah blah blah.

Cava has a more interesting menu with some SE Asian stuff, quieter vibe. Lush seems to be mainly burgers and salads, but I haven't been there for a while - never really warmed to the place, although it seems to be very popular.

'Course, you'll all be eating Chinese food, but if you want a coffee / chat place before or after dinner, any of those three (and plenty of others) will do fine.

hi. me ( an 21 year old estonian girl) and my friend will probably be the first ones to arrive in beijing (we'll be there on 18th of aug, yeeessss, i'm leaving tomorrow, can't wait 8) ). we would certainly like to meet you all!!! let us know whenever you get there :mrgreen:

Hi guys, il be arriving in beijing on sep 6 with an old friend. Last we saw this city was 10-11 years ago so we're not sure what to expect :P

Planning to see as much of the city as we can before classes start so if any of you want to join (or guide :P ) us, send me an email at albert_u@hotmail.com I'm not sure if i can post my mobile on the forum so il just send specifics via email.

Oh and if anybody knows about any good deals on apartments near BLCU, pls pls PLS send us some info. Same for bikes, city tours, etc.

ok, so first unofficial BLCU-Starters-Meeting will be on August 29th 5 pm in xi jiao hotel lobby. We'll meet there and then move on to somewhere nice. Suggestions welcome.

For info or suggestions feel free to contact me . ( puja at gmx dot net )

We'll do a second meeting when all the half years and short-terms have arrived on about September 11th I think, but that we can discuss later.

Warm regards,

Puja

It's great that someone steps up and takes control of things, Puja :)

I hope you have a nice time on the 29th...and hopefully I'll get to meet some of you on the 11th.

By the way, I'm staying in Xi Jiao from the 10th or something..and I was wondering how far it actually is from BLCU? How many minutes walk?

BYE, Cecilia.

hehe, thanks Cecilia. We'll check out the place till you and the others arrive :mrgreen:

I don't have a map of it but it shouldn't be far from XiJiao to BLCU. I can tell you more when I get there tomorrow.

btw, if anyone has MSN, you can add me with my email from the post above.

Cheers,

Puja

This is a late reply. I just got back from the 6 week intensive course (was at BLCU from July 11th->yesterday). Anyways, Xi Jiao is right next to campus, almost literally. It'll be 8-10 minutes to walk to class though since that side of campus is residential and sports facilities and the academic buildings are on the other side. FYI, the main Xi Jiao building with the lobby in it has a REALLY fantastic Korean restaurant that just opened upstairs, 20% off your entire bill right now. Ate one of my last meals there the other day. They do the whole barbeque thing and lots of sides, very cheap.

If anyone has questions about BLCU or surrounding areas let me know. There's so much I wished I'd known ahead of time, I should make a list and post in on here or something --

Amanda

Short protocol of first meeting:

We had the first meeting on August 29th, there were 5 of us, we had some korean shish kebab and talked a lot. Also one of the attendees has been here for about 2 years and told us about his experience made in BLCU and Beijing.

We'll see how many ppl will attend the 2nd meeting, which will be on September 11th. I think 5 pm was a good time to meet, but if someone wanna meet later or earlier I think we're open to suggestions. Also if you're going to be late make sure you have a cellphone and the no. of one of those who'll be there. Place would be the Lobby of Xi Jiao Hotel again.

Mike, I think we can meet up later again, but it's very usefull to meet and get to know some ppl even before you have settled in, so you can learn from their experience.

See ya,

Puja